Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

GETTING YOUR FREE WEBSITE

<< < (2/3) > >>

Johan W:
I need this for challenge coins.

Joe Sermarini:

--- Quote from: Johan W on February 14, 2022, 08:41:07 am ---I need this for challenge coins.

--- End quote ---

I don't know what that means.

Virgil H:
Challenge coins are military coins given out by commanders and command sergeant majors at battalion and above level, at least in the Army. They are on-the-spot type awards and pretty cool. I have a few from my service. If they fit into my coin trays (they are too big for 2 x 2), I would put them in with my collection rather than in a drawer of my desk. The old story is that when you go into a bar, pull out the challenge coin in your pocket if you have one and if the other person can't beat the rank of the person giving it, he buys you a beer. If he beats you, you buy the drink. My son has a three-star coin, my highest one is 2-stars. LOL. I have noticed recently that people collect these. They are pretty cool and part of it is you are supposed to earn them to get them, so there is a limited supply. I am also willing to bet there are a lot of forgeries out there because anyone can have them made.

Virgil

Joe Sermarini:
I should have remembered that since I am a retired Navy commander with a bunch of them. And I was the Commander of the Defense Logistics Depot Cherry Point and gave them out myself. In the Navy the coins have the name of the ship or command and no rank.

But he could put them in the Members' Gallery instead of creating a website.

Virgil H:
I knew you were Navy and I didn't know if the Navy had them, but it makes sense all services do. I will bet that joint command you had was interesting. In my area, the depot we dealt with the most in the US was Letterkenny. Anyway, I don't think I ever saw one in the Army with no rank, but I haven't really seen that many of the coins, either. I can certainly see them as an interesting thing to collect.

Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version