Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Ancient Coin Forum

The earthquake.

<< < (2/2)

Edward S2:
I've seen these stories along with the one about a coin taken from Heritage Auctions recently.  The term I would use is government theft but that's likely not politically correct.  I'm pleased it's being discussed here.

So is there a line somewhere?  Obviously, they're starting with the choicest items to generate headlines but will they eventually start demanding an inventory of my own holdings?  While our gracious host here at Forvm did provide a provenance of the coin I bought a few days ago, I have no idea who this named collector was.  And shops on Vcoins do not list any as they likely have none.

Will the finest specimens in ancient coinage start showing up only in auctions held in China?
Keeping the government ignorant of one's business is just common sense but will it become necessary to start moving numismatic assets offshore?
Is getting into ancients just a bad idea now?

Joe Sermarini:
The sky is not falling.

A seller cannot make up a fake provenance. If you can't tell the truth and sell the item, don't sell it.

People contact me all the time from countries with export restrictions asking me to buy or sell their coins. I always tell them I cannot help them. I tell them I sympathize and don't agree with the law, but I cannot be involved in breaking the law.

I recently had a shipment stopped by customs going into the EU. I provided the customer a letter that said I received the coin on consignment from a U.S. collector who bought it from a U.S. dealer. I wrote, there is no additional history or any documentation available. I also certified that, to the best of my knowledge, the coin was not stolen or looted, and was imported into the USA legally. I noted that it was a common type of relatively low value and not likely the subject to any patrimonial interests. They let it through to the customer.

Edward S2:
Your words of calm are appreciated, sir.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version