Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage

Can I use a smartphone for photos only if not on a network?

(1/3) > >>

Virgil H:
I hope the title made sense. For lots of reasons, I am totally sick of dealing with a smartphone and going to move down to something very simple, ala flip phones of old.

The question that is relevant here is the only thing I like about my smartphone is the camera for coin pics. If I delete service for this phone, can I still use it as a camera where I plug it into my computer to get pics? My old phone refused to even turn on when I switched services. Lost all my contacts. Next time, I will write all contacts down on paper before switching.

The El Cheapo basic phones I am looking at getting all have crappy cameras and, although I don't like smartphone cameras at all, they do seem to do well with coins.

Thanks for any info. All I want in a phone is a GPS app, phone and text. That is it. I use no apps. My fancy smartphone has been nothing but issues and hasn't worked away from my home wi-fi in 3 months and I am fed up trying to get this fixed. I am sick of paying for this non-service. And I used to be the tech go-to guy. LOL.

Virgil

SC:
I have a Samsung Galaxy that is several years old.  I use it with no SIM card.  I use it to take pictures and then upload them to the google cloud via my home wifi.  From there I pull them down onto my laptop, edit them and use them for whatever I need them for.

SC

Virgil H:
Thank you, that was what I was hoping would be the case.

Virgil

Kingston:
Normally it is not too difficult to use only simple features on a flagship smartphone if you already have one. I would find it odd to keep that smartphone for photos only and then get a cheap basic phone for calls/text/gps. But it is up to you and yes you can keep it for photos only if you want (and plug it to your laptop/PC to get the photos and upload them online/store them on external drive if you do not want to do it from the phone).

Ron C2:
You can transfer photos to a laptop using wifi. That said, I'd sell the phone. iPhones have good value retention.

Use the money to buy a used micro 4/3 camera and a macro lens. You'll be better off for coin photography.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version