Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

Byzantine Follis Syracuse(?) bust facing with crown and chlamys on both sides

(1/3) > >>

Joe Sermarini:
Byzantine Follis Syracuse(?)

Bust facing with crown and chlamys on both sides, distinguished by vertical lines and trefoil ornament on top of each head, three dotted bands from the collar on the right shoulders, vertical lines on the left shoulders, both holding globus cruciger or cross. I left on one side. The legends are difficult to read but perhaps a C and E left on the side with the I. Perhaps EO on the left of the other side. I went through Anastasi and did not find a good match. Anyone know it?

Thanks.

Joe Sermarini:
Bump.

Joe Sermarini:
I suppose if it was easy, I wouldn't be asking. Anyone? Negative responses appreciated too.

Peter T3:
Dear Joe,

It looks like a solidus of Constantine V from the Rome mint - DOC III Part 1.30-36 (Plate XI). Philip Grierson( DOC p.297) says the "earliest coins are of poor quality electrum, perhaps about eight carats fine. The later ones are of base silver, copper or potin, apparently with no gold content at all. Even if they were once gilded or plated it is difficult to see how they could have ever served an economic purpose".

Regards ,

PT

Joe Sermarini:
Very interesting! Thanks Peter!

I did notice the style was more solidus-like than the usual Syracuse bronze. I was the slightest bit suspicious that it was the core of a plated counterfeit, but it seemed too unlikely. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version