Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Illnesses Demonstrated on Coins?  (Read 634 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Illnesses Demonstrated on Coins?
« on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:56 pm »
I'm putting this here because it is relevant to most coins that have realistic portraits. Forum has a beautiful coin for sale right now, Seleucid Kingdom, Antiochus III. I have read about some coins indicating the king/emperor having some illnesses but my looking for Antiochus III, I can't find anything. The portrait on this one is very well done and the man looks fairly handsome, yet his jaw is huge and maybe even his neck seems abnormal. Is this based on reality or is it just an artifact of the coin or a product of the engraver? I am just curious here. Anyone know if there was something wrong with Antiochus III?

Thanks,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity