Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Avitus AE4?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Avitus AE4?
« on: July 11, 2022, 02:00:34 pm »
Hi all

Today i received a lot of 8 AE4's from the 5th century. It included the coin shown below.
I think it might be an Avitus AE4, however considering how rare those are it's maybe wishfull thinking.
It's a really worn and crude coin, however this is normal for 5th century AE4's.
Please let me know what you think!

gr Luuk

Obverse: [..] PF AVG, Emperor's head to right
Reverse: [VICTOR] IA AVGG, S in left field. Victory holding wreath.
Mintmark: [..]
Weight: 0.84 g
Diameter: 12 mm
Literature: RIC X 2413?

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
Re: Avitus AE4?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 05:31:43 pm »
Maybe Honorius Vandal issue?

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 07:33:28 am »
I've found a blog discussing the problem with these coins: https://dirtyoldcoins.com/Roman-Coins-Blog/1239
Here the case is made that most of the AE4's identified as Avitus are in fact misattributed AE4's of Honorius from Rome, struck between 410-423 AD (RIC 1357).
However, i'm not so sure if this can be the case for all AE4's with VICTORIA AVGG reverse and S in left field.
The AE4 shown below was sold on eBay last year (?), but the obverse does seem to read 'AVITVS', not Honorius.
I can only find the picture of the obverse, but the reverse had the VICTORIA AVGG with S in left field (i was the underbidder for this lot, unfortunately)

Does anyone here have a RIC X 2413, which can be positively identified to Avitus via the legend on obverse?
Or alternatively, does anyone have a good example of RIC X 1357, postively attributed to Honorius?
I cannot find any clear examples of either type online. Thanks!

gr Luuk

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:04:55 am »
This one seems good: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8312547

The only problem is that the coin is from Numismatik Naumann which ''ameliorate'' coins by re-engraving legends... Im 70% conviced this coin is from Avitus. But i search a better copy.

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 05:02:06 pm »
I'm sorry but at present no avitus AE coin can surely considerate as existing
all supposed coins are
1 - Honorius Rome
2 - Theodosius Rome
3 - Valentiniano III rome somentimes with a very well known inversion DN AVL-NIA AVG
4 - tooled
5 - etc
....just look at all these coins... no one have the legend on the left part legible ...ask why... because if it is present, you will see it is not Avitus :)

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 05:05:11 pm »
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8312547
thi one is hevily tooled...
please
how many letters can you count after PF ?
so... no doubt I think....

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 10:32:00 am »
Im sorry its not the good link i posted. Here is the good link: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4894397

The other link is a fake i listed in my fake base but i posted it here by error. Anyway this new link is still problematic with tool and i search an undoubtfull copy. The reason i believe there may be some real coins is that the fact the coins has been modified for Avitus is a proof of coinage attempt. Im sorry i cant say more actually because it touch to my book that i prepare. JM Doyen already read and im finalyzing the work.

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 01:45:38 am »
I am open to every possibility, when I see one I will believe it, for now, I am not inclined to believe in the existence of a thing just because it is technically possible
Greetings
Alain

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 08:24:46 am »
Dont worry ill come next years with arguments  ;)

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 09:28:59 am »
this just so as not to leave suspended, is a coin of Theodosius II in Rome under Johannes - it is a VICTORIA and not a SALVS
bye
Alain

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2022, 01:02:14 pm »
The coin is with Victoria wreath and palm. As noted by RIC X n°2412 and 2413. But im not working on Ae, im on solidi so i will seriously check the coins later.

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2022, 08:45:26 am »
I'm working since 2 years on a total revision of the AE coins in RIC X, thet is why I'm so interested in this argument :)
all the best
Alain Gennari

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2022, 08:54:10 am »
I cant say more sorry. My work should arrive next year.

Will you publish a book about your revision?

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 02:54:36 am »
Yes I will, I hope in 2024 because I'm still touring some Museums.... There will be more or less 900 images of coins, and still 40/50 are very difficult to find... and some are in fact misunderstood ...
I found many variants, and in some cases emissions in more mint than RIC say....
but as I told it will be only AE, that is my real field
I'm looking forward to read your work!!!
all the best
Alain Gennari

Offline Poemenius

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2022, 05:56:47 am »
My last paper for example will be on the next Numismatic Chronicle, and it is about RIC X 3650 and all victory AE4 post 455

All coins are guaranteed for eternity