Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need help identifying an Abbasid Dirham (possibly Harun al-Rashid) - many thanks  (Read 439 times)

Offline Jamie C

• Legionary
Hi everyone,

I hope that everyone is keeping safe and well. If this is against the rules, then my sincere apologies to the mods - I just hoped that by cross-posting in this sub-forum, I might be able to get a little more traction.

I have recently posted a dirham - I am almost certain it is Abbasid, and think it is possibly a coin of Harun al-Rashid, but my attempts to read the Kufic script with the help of Plant's book have not got me very far. I really struggle with the elongated box characters and the lack of diacritics.

The coin is here - https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=128558.0

If anybody can help me to read it, I would really, really appreciate it - I would like to get a positive ID before I give it to a friend as a gift.

Very best wishes to all,

Jamie

bakkar

This is Abbasid dirham mint of Madinat al Salsm (Baghdad).
obv. Center لا اله الا الله وحده لاشريك له (No God but Allah alone with no partner in deity)
obv border بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بمدينة السلام سنة ثمان وثمانين ومئة9( in the name of Allah, this dirham is minted in Madinat al Salam year 188).
Rev field  محمد رسول الله (Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
Rev border ارسله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون ( a koran verse which means: It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad ) with guidance and the religion of truth ....etc.

Offline Jamie C

• Legionary
This is Abbasid dirham mint of Madinat al Salsm (Baghdad).
obv. Center لا اله الا الله وحده لاشريك له (No God but Allah alone with no partner in deity)
obv border بسم الله ضرب هذا الدرهم بمدينة السلام سنة ثمان وثمانين ومئة9( in the name of Allah, this dirham is minted in Madinat al Salam year 188).
Rev field  محمد رسول الله (Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.
Rev border ارسله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون ( a koran verse which means: It is He Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad ) with guidance and the religion of truth ....etc.

Dear bakkar,

Thank you very much for your help with this, I really do appreciate it! I couldn't identify the 'bunny ears' Lam-Alef ligature anywhere on the legend, which Plant says is the tell-tale sign for Madinat al Salam.

Many thanks again.

Best,

Jamie

All coins are guaranteed for eternity