Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Die links library  (Read 2135 times)

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
Die links library
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
Hello,

Looking at many coins, sometime i find interesting Obverse and reverse links. Some sale's houses write sometime: "same dies for this coins than the 2 others". Its ok we talk a lot of time about very scarce coins and we can compare with few examples known. But for others? Even for very scarce coins, is there a book, articles somewhere talking about die links?

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Die links library
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:14 pm »
Hi Coins Fan,

Some of the members here are, or have been involved in die studies, and are better qualified to comment - and I hope they do! These are my general observations based on the references I own.

References are more likely to identify die links where the author has physically undertaken a die study e.g. of coins from a hoard, or of a specific type or region. Therefore you are less likely to find references to die links in catalogues covering broader areas.

Boehringer is a classic example. it is the standard reference for Syracusan tetradrachms.  If you look at Syracusan tetradrachms (e.g. on FORVM shop), you will see that their attributions also include a reference to the obverse and reverse die from that reference.
Wildwinds has an (incomplete) summary of Boehringer here which you can also take a look at: https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/pdfs/Syracuse_Boehringer_and_Tudeer.pdf

SNGs will sometimes reference where coins share the same obverse or reverse dies of another coin in the same fascicle.

Many people (vendors and collectors alike) do not bother with trying to establish die links. It is not always easy to do so due to the condition of the coin (in hand, or in the reference), or due the quality of the plates themselves in the reference.

Here is a useful article by Doug Smith on the subject: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/dielink.html

Peter

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:13:41 am »
Thank you, the problem i occure is that i found many die links for 20 types struck. But how can i present this work? I mean: if i write an article and say "i found a die link between 2 coins with same obverse but not same reverse and officina"... If someone already found it before, peoples will say i copied his work.
Yesterday i found and die link obverse but an different reverse with variant, apparently undiscovered yet, how can i know it? This is problematic.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:05 am »
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:48:11 am »
If you observe a die link or a series of die links that you think are important enough to merit publication, then write them up and submit them to a reputable online or printed journal. 

If those links have already been observed and discussed by somebody else, then the editors or referees of the journal will probably be able to point this out to you.
Curtis Clay

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:08 pm »
 :laugh: Nice animations Quadrans. How do you do that?

@ Curtis Clay: Great idea! In my country i know cgb bulletin, can you telle me what journal can i contact?

2nd: Is that interesting when i find for a same type a link Obverse / Reverse links with no one break for the first coin, a little break for the second and a big for the third?

Ill show you an example about one die link that i ask me if there is a real interest to record it:
 Overse link, the firts coin is from Barry feirstein collection and both coins was sold by nac

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »
Anyone working on the gold coinage of Probus is going to notice that obv. die link, so there is no need for you to point it out in a separate note.

As to journals, I suggest you ask in a French forum, for example Monnaies de l'Antiquité; or ask the curator of Roman coins in Paris or Brussels, if you have the chance to visit one of those collections.
Curtis Clay

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:23:56 pm »
 :-\ Sorry i badly formulated my question: is it worthwhile to reference this kind of link? Is that help for our knowledge of roman coins?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:44:02 pm »
It's of no value to point out an obvious die link that has no special chronological or geographical significance, and that anyone working on the same coinage will be sure to notice on his own.

The sort of individual links that might be worth publishing: a link between two coins that are currently attributed to quite different issues; the use of the same reverse die by two or more successive emperors; shared obv. dies between two or more different mints on Greek or Roman provincial coins, if those links have not already been pointed out by Konrad Kraft or other numismatists.
Curtis Clay

Offline COINS FAN

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »
OK  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity