Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Re: Archaeological News  (Read 96631 times)

Offline Xenophon

• Consul
Re: Archaeological News
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 11:35:49 am »
The Antikythera Mechanism will be explored in an episode of Unearthing Mysteries on BBC Radio 4 on 12 December. You will be able to listen via the internet at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4.

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2006, 12:56:50 am »
Hi Jim!

Your article is about the Antikythera mechanism. We have a long thread about that. Please take a look at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=22906.0

best regards

Thank you, Jochen! :)
Regards, Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 09:53:21 am »
"After nearly a year of negotiations, the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles has agreed in principle to return a rare fourth-century B.C. gold funerary wreath to Greece that cultural officials there contend was illegally removed from Greek soil, an expert briefed on the talks said Sunday."

I suppose if it has been proved that this item has been illegally excavated in Greece, then the Greeks have some claim over it, but I can't help thinking that it's a case of "It's ours and we want it back", rather than a genuine historical or cultural concern. As for Italy demanding art objects back from museums, they have so much material they can't even look after what they already have.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 11:11:07 am »
Hi!

The University of Heidelberg/Germany has given back to Greece a small part of the Parthenon sculptures. It is a part of the foot which is red encircled on the pic. This part came to Germany about AD 1871 as a souvenir from a tourist. At that time it was not unusual to pick up small stones from the Acropolis to take them at home. This part has a size of about 7x11cm.

Most oft the Parthenon sculptures are in the British Museum and the Greek government will have them back. There are heavy reconstructions on the Acropolis today

You may look at http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/presse/news06/2601akro.html (German only)

Best regards

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2006, 12:43:48 pm »
The return of the Parthenon marbles is really the only repatraition request currently up for debate that I believe is justified, but I dont believe it should set a precedent for other requests. The Greeks atleast can look after the sculptures.
                                                             LordBest. 8)

Offline GMoneti

• Consul
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 02:49:55 pm »
Eternal embrace? Couple still hugging 5,000 years on.

ROME (Reuters) - Call it the eternal embrace.

Archaeologists in Italy have discovered a couple buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago, hugging each other.

"It's an extraordinary case," said Elena Menotti, who led the team on their dig near the northern city of Mantova.

"There has not been a double burial found in the Neolithic period, much less two people hugging -- and they really are hugging."

Menotti said she believed the two, almost certainly a man and a woman although that needs to be confirmed, died young because their teeth were mostly intact and not worn down.

"I must say that when we discovered it, we all became very excited. I've been doing this job for 25 years. I've done digs at Pompeii, all the famous sites," she told Reuters.

"But I've never been so moved because this is the discovery of something special."

A laboratory will now try to determine the couple's age at the time of death and how long they had been buried.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070206/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_italy_embrace;_ylt=ApIs2f3xTRf3Vq9LCFaQ6yJ0bBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

I hope they loved each other truly.  ;D

Georgi

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 07:06:56 am »
This story from todays Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/10/nhill10.xml

"Evidence of a Roman sacred site has been discovered at the foot of a man-made hill created thousands of years before the Romans arrived in Britain, it was announced yesterday.

English Heritage called the uncovering of the settlement a "startling discovery", and all the more so because it lies next to 5,000-year-old Silbury hill, which at 130ft is Europe's largest man-made prehistoric monument. The original purpose and use of the Neolithic hill, which took an estimated 20 million man hours to make, still mystifies archaeologists.

Yesterday's disclosure indicates that a Roman community was equally taken with the Wiltshire hill and established a sacred settlement in its shadow, some 3,000 years after it was created.

The discovery of a settlement the size of 24 football pitches is "quite unexpected" said Dr Amanda Chadburn, an English Heritage archaeologist and team leader. "Although there were hints - the odd Roman coin kicking around - that the Romans were doing something around there we did not know what. This is an important Roman settlement." The site straddled the Roman road from London to Bath where it crossed the Winterbourne River.

But it was more than just a way station for weary travellers. The Romans were as intrigued by Silbury as people are today, and there is even a tantalising hint of a temple. "There are a lot of legends about it being built by the devil and you wonder what the Romans thought about it," said Dr Chadburn."

I have a piece on Silbury Hill on my web-site if anyone's interested: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia/sites/silbury/silbury.htm
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Kopperkid

• Praetorian
  • Wisdom begins in wonder.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 12:48:11 am »
I'm heading to the Netherlands on June 24 for a week. I wasn't able to get the link to work. Does any have a newer link or know where the site is located?

Regards,
Kopperkid

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 03:14:33 pm »
http://www.romereborn.virginia.edu/ Check this out, it is worth the time, and it will be wonderful when completed. there are some related news stories.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 05:12:44 pm »
Certainly looks promising. What'd be cool would be if they built a user interface that let you walk though the model - to see what it felt like to walk though some of the famous areas. Maybe they could turn in into a virtual world like second life where people could go and dress/act in period to bring it to life.

I think I may have spotted one minor omission - in the last still image "Rome Macro" the Colossus Neronis (restyled as Sol) should, I think, still be there at this date (320 AD) - standing inbetween the temple of Romae Aeternae / Venus and the Colosseum. At 120' tall it'd certainly be visible at this scale - much taller than the Arch of Constantine. AFAIK the statue was still there until quite late.

Ben

Offline bruce61813

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 11:46:43 am »
I believe that the end goal would be to make it allow a "walk through" , but that will take a lot more work and money. This is a lot of work.

Bruce
too many coins - too little time!!

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2007, 03:07:18 pm »
Delighted to hear it!  That is what I have thought and taught most of my life: the archaeological and linguistic (slight as they are) evidences add up to a major immigration, colonization of Anatolians, not just a tiny ruling group that came just once or twice.  So I am not surprised, but the evidence of both patrilineal and matrilineal DNA independently is most welcome.
Pat L.

Retrospectator

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 05:23:29 am »
'But the latest conclusions may add weight to a rival, apparently more fanciful, theory that links their name to Troy, the "city of towers" and a part of the Lydian empire. The most likely date for the fall of Troy, as described by Homer, is between 1250 and 1200 BC.'

Wouldn't that be ironic, I can hear Virgil turning in his grave; Aeneas founded Etruria!!! Hehe.  :laugh:

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 10:44:51 pm »
Good Evening Everyone,

I just wanted to share a site that shows what the Roman Forum may have looked like in 179 A.D.  It shows a model of the Forum created by Robert Garbisch in great detail.  Nothing is better than the real thing, but this kind of gives you a flavor for the grandeur of it in ancient times.  Enjoy!

http://home.surewest.net/fifi/index50.html

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 07:28:32 am »
Vitruvius,

Thank you for introducing me to this very interesting site.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2007, 03:51:13 pm »
Hi Vitruvius,

That's amzing, thanks for sharing

Regards
Potator

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2007, 02:47:12 am »
Thank you for this!  I had no idea there was a website with all these pictures.  I currently attend Brandeis, and several of the professors regularly use this model as a tool for teaching students about Roman art, archaeology and history.  In my first year at Brandeis I have been taken to see it three different times by professors, and I often pass by it while in the library.  If you are ever on the Brandeis campus, it is definitely worth taking a look at.  With so little of it remaining today in the actual Forum, it is a great tool to have this model.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2007, 03:16:45 pm »
Wow!  What a mystery this is.  Reminds me of steppe burial practices, a little (if only by the presence of horses), but it is too early for the hordes of Alans and other Iranian splinter groups later settled in Gaul by the authorities, and too slapdash in practice.  All the mandibles missing!  This will give me something to think about in the watches of the night for a long time, and thanks for calling it to our attention.  George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2007, 03:25:37 pm »
A Roman road has been found by workers building a controversial £840m natural gas pipeline across Wales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/6760363.stm

Regards,
Martin

basemetal

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 08:04:05 pm »
Definitely worth a picture.  Assuming the individual was a slave, I find it a fascinating peek into the past.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 01:21:53 am »
Body of an assumed Inca found in Norway:
http://www.norwaypost.no/cgi-bin/norwaypost/imaker?id=87357

Gladiator myth-busting:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/06/26/gladiator_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070626100030

LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity