Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ptolemy ID help  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
Ptolemy ID help
« on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:35 am »
This is my first Ptolemaic coin and I'm having a little trouble with it.  This is what I tenatively have so far:

Ptolemy V Epiphanes
205-180 B.C.
Æ Obol
10.31 gm, 23.5 mm
Obv.Head of bearded Herakles right,
wearing lion skin
Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ
around Eagle standing left on thunderbolt,
monogram to left

I am not too sure of the king as several have similar types.  Any opinions?  (other than "good luck!")

:)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Ptolemy ID help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »
This is my first Ptolemaic coin and I'm having a little trouble with it.  This is what I tenatively have so far:

Ptolemy V Epiphanes
205-180 B.C.
Æ Obol
10.31 gm, 23.5 mm
Obv.Head of bearded Herakles right,
wearing lion skin
Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ
around Eagle standing left on thunderbolt,
monogram to left

I am not too sure of the king as several have similar types.  Any opinions?  (other than "good luck!")

:)

Svoronos 1385 = SNG Cop 288-290 = Weiser 148.  Some who care about such things would say Ptolemy V, others might say Ptolemy VI.

PtolemAE

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:06:54 pm »
Thank you very much - just what I was looking for!

I'm at your site now trying to figure out another one.

Thanks!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:14:01 am »
Thank you very much - just what I was looking for!

I'm at your site now trying to figure out another one.

Thanks!

You're welcome.  Good luck.  Post 'em here and let's have a look.  Part of the site is being reorganized - coming back soon.

PtolemAE

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:00 pm »
Thanks PtolemAE!  I posted the second one in my gallery.  I think I got the attribution OK on that one (well, not too sure about the mint).  What threw me on the first one was that it was misidentified as Zeus instead of Herakles.  I used the key on your site for the second and it agreed with the information that came with the coin. 

Ptolemy III Euregetes
247/6-221/20 B.C.
Æ Obol
10.29 gm, 24.5 mm
Obv.: Head of Alexander right, wearing elephant skin, dotted boarder
Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ around Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right,
filleted cornucopia to right, Ε between legs, dotted boarder
Cyprus mint
Svoronos 976; SNG Cop 232; BMC 6, p.66, 41-2; Sear 7819

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
Thanks PtolemAE!  I posted the second one in my gallery.  I think I got the attribution OK on that one (well, not too sure about the mint).  What threw me on the first one was that it was misidentified as Zeus instead of Herakles.  I used the key on your site for the second and it agreed with the information that came with the coin. 

Ptolemy III Euregetes
247/6-221/20 B.C.
Æ Obol
10.29 gm, 24.5 mm
Obv.: Head of Alexander right, wearing elephant skin, dotted boarder
Rev.: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ around Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right,
filleted cornucopia to right, Ε between legs, dotted boarder
Cyprus mint
Svoronos 976; SNG Cop 232; BMC 6, p.66, 41-2; Sear 7819

correct except most likely Alexandria mint, imho.  it is herakles or Alexander wearing the elephantskin headdress - seen on a number of Ptolemaic bronze types from Ptolemy I - Ptolemy VI or VIII.

let's see some more...

PtolemAE

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:01 pm »
Thank you once again!  I'll change my mint attribution.  I'll have to see if I have any more Ptolemies - I bought a handfull of ancient coins from the collection of man that recently passed.  It is interesting to see the notes on the old 2X2 envelopes and the prices he paid back in the 60's.  There was one silver Alexander drachm (Macedon) that he purchased in 1963 from B.A. Seaby, London, for $2.10.   Those were the days!

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:23 am »
Thank you once again!  I'll change my mint attribution.  I'll have to see if I have any more Ptolemies - I bought a handfull of ancient coins from the collection of man that recently passed.  It is interesting to see the notes on the old 2X2 envelopes and the prices he paid back in the 60's.  There was one silver Alexander drachm (Macedon) that he purchased in 1963 from B.A. Seaby, London, for $2.10.   Those were the days!

Hope you got all the nice Ptolemaic bronzes :)

show us the rest if there are more.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity