Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Lost or Stolen Coins from Britain...Sigh  (Read 946 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Two Lost or Stolen Coins from Britain...Sigh
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:20:46 pm »
Dear Board,

It is with great displeasure that I must write this post about two coins that are believed to be lost or possibly stolen from the mail.  Please see the attached photos.  The first two are of a Julius Caesar elephant denarius (Crawford 443/1; Sydenham 1006).  The second pair of images show a styca of Archbishop Wigmund & moneyer Coenred (probably North 0196).

Both coins were mailed to the US from Britain, the styca to me, and the denarius to another collector.  They were bought from the same British dealer who I am working with to recover both coins, even though there is only a remote possibility that can be done.  Both were internationally signed for (with tracking numbers provided).  The styca was mailed on September 8 and, according to the latest tracking data, was in New York on the 11th.  I am uncertain when the denarius was mailed, but it probably was a few weeks before my coin.

I hope as many sharp-eyed coin collectors and coin dealers read this post as possible and report any possible appearances of these two coins.  Your help is very appreciated!

I have already posted a copy of this message in the Roman Coins section of the boards.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
Re: Two Lost or Stolen Coins from Britain...Sigh
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:30:29 pm »
You might want to post this in the lost or stolen galley also--hit the galley button to get there

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Two Lost or Stolen Coins from Britain...Sigh
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »
Dear Paul D3,

Thanks for the suggestion!  I will try and do that.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity