Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Judaea or Britannia Capta?  (Read 952 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Judaea or Britannia Capta?
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:02:50 am »
Hello all,

I received this historical coin of Titus over the weekend:

RIC 30, BMC 15, RSC 274
Rome Mint, 79 AD
Obv - IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG PM; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
Rev - TR P VIIII IMP XIIII COS VII P P; Trophy, below captive kneeling r.

A 'Capta' type that may alternately be a Judaea or Britannia type. Mattingly in the BMCRE (BMC 2.xli) interprets these types of Titus as Augustus as referring to Britannia and Agricola's campaigns in Northern England and Scotland. Jane M. Cody in the book 'Flavian Rome' (pg. 111) agrees with Mattingly, citing the differences in shield and trophy designs with the standard Judaea Capta types. Confusingly, Mattingly states that this type issued for Titus as Caesar under Vespasian refers to Judaea while Cody believes both issues were minted for victories in Britain because of identical composition and detail.

Personally I think it commemorates the victories in Britain. It would be odd if the Flavian expansion going on in that province was not celebrated on the coinage.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Judaea or Britannia Capta?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:32:22 am »
I dare not say what victory was celebrated, but for the Flavians it was important to show their strength, as they were clearly aiming to become the new 'dynasts' after the Julio-Claudian period that lasted a century.
I find the coin very interesting in that respect.
Nice buy!

Frans

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:57:09 am »
I always consider this Ajudaea Capta type.
regards
Salem

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:16:39 am »
"I always consider this Ajudaea Capta type."

So does David Hendin.

PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity