Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crantor  (Read 1853 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Crantor
« on: September 14, 2007, 05:09:24 pm »
Not to detract from Jochen’s wonderful posting of his coin depicting Anakreon, I will post my example of a ridiculously rare coin separately but thank Jochen for prompting me to get off my dead hooha and post.

My coin was minted under Gordian III in the Cilician city of Soli-Pompeiopolis depicting the stoic philosopher/poet Crantor.

AE 31; 12.32 g; Die Axis 6h
Obverse: AVT K M ANT GORDIANOC CEB; P P; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: POMPEIOPOLEITWN; AST (=6 Assaria); STT (= year 306 = 240/1 AD); Beardless bust of Crantor right
Ref: Ziegler 594 (same dies)

Ziegler lists the coin as depicting the bust of Philomen, but with a (?) because of his uncertainty. Philomen, though, as argued by Franke comes from Syracuse and thus is not a likely candidate. Also, the portrait being beardless suggests a poet and not a philosopher, Crantor was both. The beardless depiction also most likely eliminates Chryssipus, another Soli Philosopher, whose depictions on coins are beareded.

Much of what we know of Crantor has been provided to us by Diogenes Laërtius in his work The Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers. Crantor was born in Soli in Cilicia (before it was Pompeiopolis), (c 340/335 – 275 BC). He was a stoic philosopher of the Old Academy. He was a fellow student of Polemo in the school of Xenocrates at Athens and was the first commentator on Plato. According to Diogenes Laërtius Crantor supposedly wrote some poems that were deposited in the temple of Athena in Soli:

"The following verses of Antagoras the poet are also attributed to Crantor; the subject is love, and they run thus:

My mind is much perplexed; for what, O Love,
    Dare I pronounce your origin? May I
    Call you chiefest of the immortal Gods,
    Of all the children whom dark Erebus
    And Royal Night bore on the billowy waves
    Of widest Ocean? Or shall I bid you hail,
    As son of proudest Venus? or of Earth?
    Or of the untamed winds? so fierce you rove,
    Bringing mankind sad cares, yet not unmixed
    With happy good, so two-fold is your nature."

Crantor’s greatest work, none of which exists in the original but has been preserved in numerous extracts by Plutarch’s, Consolation to Apollonius, and in Cicero’s De consolatione, is On Grief, a letter of condolence to his friend Hippocles on the death of his children. Cicero modeled much of his two works, De consolatione  and Tusculan Disputations on Crantor’s On Grief. Crantor paid especial attention to ethics, and arranged "good" things in the following order--virtue, health, pleasure, riches.

Thank you Dr. Lawrence for translation help.

c.rhodes

Sources:
1)   Encyclopedia Britannica 11th ed 1910-1911
2)   Diogenes Laërtius
3)   Plutarch, Consolation to Apollonius
4)   P. R. Franke, Zu einem Munzbildnis des Stoikers Chrysippus, Festschrift for Karl-Heinz Ilting, pg. 387.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Crantor
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:37:05 pm »
Dear Charles!

Thank you for sharing this coin! The Stoa has me strongly influenced in my youth and in this time ataraxia, galene or adiaphora were ideas I have lived with. Especially the stoic ethics and its kosmopolitan features could still be valuable today. The term adiaphora I use sometimes today - in a different sense - to differentiate between important and unimportant things.

But I must confess that I have never heard of Crantor. So this contribution is a reason to search for more informations!

Thanks

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:03:26 pm »
Out of curiousity, I have been unable to find any other examples of this coin on the net. when you say ridiculously rare,how many known examples are there????

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 08:01:57 am »
There is Ziegler 594, SNG Paris 1250 and this example. Zielger says the coin comes from the Karbach collection and refers to Inventorie Waddington. So that would be 4 coins - so definitely not unique, but until I saw that example that I purchased I would not have know about the coin. Now if I look at the Franke reference he lists 4 coins including the Waddington coin, so that might indicate 7 example, which drops it from "ridiculously rare" to just rare!!!

c.rhodes

PS - I am going to make a correction to the above numbers. It looks like the Waddington coin is in fact the Paris coin, which I think is correct because his collection became part of the Paris collection (Curtis can correct me here if he reads this at some point). So, that drops the number that I can count 6, which still means that it is only just rare!! The Paris catalogers say it is the bust of the astronomer Aratos(?), again with a question mark for uncertainty. Babelon thought it Chrysippos, but here is what Ihoof-Blumer says, along with the example that he studied (I also include an example of a coin depicting Chrysippos, also from the same Ih-B paper):

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 09:43:41 am »
Gordian_guy,

Where is that quote from?  You say Imhoof-Blumer, but I can't think of publications of his in English.

Yes, Paris acquired the Waddington Collection.
Curtis Clay

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:38 am »

Curtis:

"Coin-Types of Some Kilikian Cities," Imhoof-Blumer, The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. 18. (1898), pp. 161-181. Great article that slokind generously obtained for me a couple of years ago. It listed a coin that was formerly of von Aulock's collection that I had obtained and it also describes some of the Perseus coins from Tarsus.

c.rhodes

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:17:48 pm »

Here is what Strabo has to say about Soli-Pompeiopolis (the section that Imhoof-Blumer referred to):

8. Next to Lamus is Soli, a considerable city, where the other Cilicia, that about Issus, commences. It was founded by Achaenas, and by Rhodians from Lindus. Pompey the Great transferred to this city, which had a scanty population, the survivors of the pirates, whom he though most entitled to protection and clemency, and changed its name to Pompeiopolis.

Chrysippus the Stoic philosopher, the son of an inhabitant of Tarsus, who left it to live at Soli; Philemon the comic poet; and Aratus, who composed a poem called “the Phaenomena were among the illustrious natives of this place.

Strabo, Geography pg 671 (b. xiv c. v. section 8, that's book 14, chapter v, section 8. )

c.rhodes

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:19 pm »
Despite the renoun of the literati of Soli, the standard of the Greek spoken there was held to be so atrocious that it gave rise to the term "solecism."  So says Michael Grant.  Geo. Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:39:47 am »

Update: Two examples of the Crantor coin of Gordian III came to the market within the last 7-9 months:

1) Lot 314, Paul-Francis Jacquier, Munzen und Kunst der Antike, Katalog 36, Summer 2009
2) Lot 1506, CNG Triton XIII, January 6, 2010, Sessions 3 and 4

So, if 6 is the number I gave above, now it would be 8 examples - beginning to be less rare every day!!

c.rhodes

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:01 am »
Excellent contributions!
Thanks!
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity