Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another one has been put up for sale...Hanniballianus  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
Another one has been put up for sale...Hanniballianus
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
Like to surf eBay and this seller is a well known trusted one
Rremember this very coin that featured here on forum discussion and it has shown up again on a listing on eBay.
Hanniballianus Ae4  River God reclining..CONS in exergue

This was the post on Forum

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=42890.10;wap2

Picture of coin listed for auction

I emailed the seller to alert them about it and provided the same link to page for Forum.
Hope they notice it!
This one can fool some of the best, at first, it fooled me.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Another one has been put up for sale...Hanniballianus
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:38:31 pm »
Please remove link and upload picture (Rules)
(links get broken)
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:23:06 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out...read the rules and tried to be careful....looks like another struck fake of those dies

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 11:52:09 pm »
So I sent the seller a PM another time and no response....here is his description
Roman Empire

Hannibalianus, Caesar AD 335-337.

Constantinopolis

Æ Follis

Obv: FL HANNIBALIANO REGI, Draped and cuirassed bust right.

Rev: SECVRITAS PVBLICA / CONSS, Euphrates reclining right, holding scepter and overflowing urn; reeds behind.

RIC 147.

nearly very fine

17mm, 1,79 g.

Ex Sammlung Hruby Wien

Two things stand out as in the forum post ....the weight is heavy and the mintmark only inscribed CONS not CONSS

So, the current high bidder has a very high count....

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 04:48:48 pm »
Like to surf eBay and this seller is a well known trusted one
Rremember this very coin that featured here on forum discussion and it has shown up again on a listing on eBay.
Hanniballianus Ae4  River God reclining..CONS in exergue

This was the post on Forum

Picture of coin listed for auction

The 2008 coin is a nice example of a modern strike/press on an ancient coin undertype.

Ross G.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 10:47:19 pm »
Yes it is a very good fake and I🤣  ia very attractive coin .  Still up there at 95 clams as the high.
Strange the seller has not responded to🤭my  messages, but this seller lists many lots and just didn't read it. Whatever the case, hope it gets taken off before someone gets ripped off!
Thanks for the picture post
P.S. There are many Hanniballianus that are fakes out there.
Actually a firm in England offers reproductions of Ancient coins and offers one of these that isn't half bad.
Seems most LRBC want this coin in their collection

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:04 pm »
Note that to avoid possible misreading I have slightly modified my previous post - on means on.

Ross G.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 09:07:29 am »
Dually noted, that is an important distinction.
Happy to report it has been delisted by seller....glad he was able to read my PM and see it the clever forgery. BTW, never responded to my message and wrote withdrawn because of error in listing!
Oh well,  no harm, no foul.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 09:25:54 am »

To me the obverse reads: FL ANNIBALIANO REGI, so no letter "H".

Pekka K

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:28 pm »
I have bought some and had them in hand and I am not convinced that they are overstruck on authentic coins.
The patinas look rather artificial and at least some if not imho all are artificial.
There are no signs of undertpye on any of these coins I have seen so far.
At least the silver ones (same artist and workshop) are struck and I have even seen some with slippage and double struck details.
I guess pictures can be misleading and it is something different to have such fakes in hand and the chance to compare the patinaswith real patinas.
I do not know why the patina is flaking off on some maybe the artificial patina is not sticking that well on the planchet or they applied the artificial patina on the planchets before striking etc.

That the patina is flaking off can have many different reasons and is no evidence for overstriking on an authentic planchet (coin).
It is possible to create artificial patinas that look similar but of course not idneitical to authentic patinas.

So far I have not heart any convincing argument why they must be overstruck on ancient planchets?
If you can create such patinas and flaking off of patina artificially why should anyone use authentic coins as planchet?

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 04:26:09 pm »
As Prokopov noted with the 2008 coin the definition is much clearer inside the border than outside. And with that coin at least you can see traces of the original border as well outside the new border.

Ross G.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 05:29:58 pm »
"s Prokopov noted with the 2008 coin the definition is much clearer inside the border than outside. And with that coin at least you can see traces of the original border as well outside the new border."

I assume you mean this one

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-11854

I can only see an atrificial patina and no second boder but a flaking off patina at reverse , if you look at many of these you will see that the position where the patina is flaking off is different.

Again, I would expect to see parts of the undertype especially, which I can not see and here.
And of course due to striking there can be slippage and double struck areas on these fakes, too.
And these (double striking and slippage) could result in a second boder, too (which I can not see here)
And I would expect to see a real patina and not an artificial patina.
And why using an authetnic coin as planchet if you can use artificial patina and modern planchet which is cheaper and easier.
I assume you will need much pressure to erase all details of the undertype and with so much pressure the ancient planchet will possibly break (already weakend through flan craks etc) or the patina will break off.
I tried to mint coins with some of my dies (have bad ones) and I noticed that you need really much pressure, good equipment like anvil (which I do not have) and good planchets and if cold striking for huger ones about 3 attempts (of course depending on power of striker). Hot striking could damage patina, because patina is not as elastic as metal, metal is becoming huger in size when heated and shrinking when cooling down) so assume they would use cold striking.
What is strange is that even on edge cracks or areas where the patina is flaking off I can not see any copper, this would mean that the patina must be through all layers ?
At least on edge cracks which must have become wider and stronger frompressure of striking I would expect to see copper especially if the edge crack goes deep, but this seems not to be the case at least on my fakes.
But if you apply an artificial patina after strking you will of course not see anywhere where patina is flaking off or at edge cracks the copper.
I assume that the patina can go on some ancient coins through all layers but not on all, I have some anthentic Bronze coins where the patina is not going through all layers and is not so thick.
And that forgers only used some with thick patina which goes through many layers would be very unralistic.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 06:33:42 pm »
The 2008 coin is the one shown in Reply 5 above.

It is discussed by Prokopov here:

as linked by Vincent in the lead post of this thread.

Ross G.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 07:32:15 pm »
A while ago I post to the fake section a fake Greek bronze struck over a Byzantine coin centuries later--an example of the use of an ancient planchet for a fake coin.  There are plenty of ancient coins around that are worn smooth or nearly so that would make cheap and readily available flans for fakers and leave no trace of an undertype.  I would post a link, but I am poor at such computer maneuvers.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2020, 07:38:31 pm »
So, still left with no genuine ANNIBALIANO as far as I know.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2020, 09:10:07 pm »
So, still left with no genuine ANNIBALIANO as far as I know.

There's a RIC 145 in Vienna, and what looks like a RIC 146 was sold in G&M 207.703

Ben

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2020, 04:18:42 am »
The arguments in the other thread are not convincing and are most likely done based on very bad pictures without having some of these in hand.

djmacdo is of course correct that for example Sicilian forgers seem to have used very rarely  for some bronze and silver coins ancient coins as planchet, but this is only proving that this can be done in practice.

But it doesn´t mean that this must be the case here too for this Bulgarian fakes.

Again we must consider what advantages a forger would have if he would use ancient coins as planchet and if this really makes sense here?
And if there is any real evidence that Bulgarian forgers are using for this coins ancient coins as planchet?

Anvantage of overstrikeing would be to have a most likely convincing patina if patina will not break and being destroyed due to striking or the panchet will not break in too (especially on such small Bronze coins the chance would be high). And forgers would not need to know how to produce artificial patinas and how to cast flans. All they need is ancient coins and matrixes.

But if they are producing fake sesterti and silver coins and selling  them cheap as it is here the case then lastest for them they will need the knowledge how to produce planchets and artifcial patinas and how to alter coins. And even a worn Sestertius would most likely be more expensive than the 10-20 Dollars (some in lot even cost much less) they are selling their fake Sesterti for, so using a more expensive authentic coins as planchet to produce a cheaper fake does not make sense.

Disadvantage, if you can produce a similar looking patina artificially it would not make any sense to use ancient coins as planchet for such cheap (in lots mabye 5 Dollar for one)  fakes.
You do not have to spend time to search for fitting worn ancient coins and no risk to destroy their planchet or their patina.
So using artificial patina is faster (no need to search for authentic coins), cheaper (less time consuming and time is money and even worn ancient coins cost money) and no or less risk to break the coin (if you use ancinet Bronze coins as planchet, they will more likely break form pressure of striking for example if they have already edge cracks or if metal is weakened  than modern casted planchets ).
And we know already that Bulgarian forgers can produce very good artificial patinas for example some of the artificial patinas on Roman provincial cast coins are well done and dangerous.

I have posted seller "gan5380" before he is nfs seller and selling them as fakes and so making it possible that they will reappear in offers of auction houses and dealers later.
And I am again nominating gan5380 for nfs.

Hanniballianus

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133600315412

BRITANNICVS

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133600262465

Same seller 100% artificial patina (meaning you can find similar or possibly identical patinas on cast fakes and patinas on cast fakes must be artificial)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133604097718

https://www.ebay.de/itm/133603689354

https://www.ebay.de/itm/DUPONDIVS-ROMAN-FLAVIA-TITIANA-PERTINAX-193A-D/133598593968?hash=item1f1b18c3b0:g:1ZkAAOSwPjZfv904

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SESTERTIUM-ROMAN-SEPTIMIVS-SEVERVS-193-211A-d/133600433879?hash=item1f1b34d6d7:g:jfYAAOSwhlBfy6lc

https://www.ebay.de/itm/SESTRTIUM-ROMAN-DRVSVS-JVNIOR-14B-C-23A-D/133600460046?hash=item1f1b353d0e:g:d0QAAOSwq85fy65D

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2020, 05:02:25 am »
better upload those ebay pics Din X, they get broken after some weeks
All the Best,
Eric

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2020, 08:29:44 am »
There's a bunch of different types from the same source - they were discussed here on FORVM years ago. I think Barry Murphy was the first to mention them.

Ael Eudoxia
Ael Flaccilla
Divus Romulus
Flavius Victor
Hannibalianus
Magnentius
Neoptian
Vetranio

None of these are very convincing - they all have a cartoonish quality and are often struck on these equally cartoonish overly ragged/split/patinated flans. I very much doubt they are ancient flans as the ragged ones look more intended  to fool a beginner who might think this is what ancient coins SHOULD look like as opposed to what ancient flans mostly DO look like. Carthage is the only mint that comes to mind that typically had ragged-edge flans, but even those look nothing like these.

Note that the Magnentius is a fantasy type - this reverse was never issued from Siscia.

Here are some composite pictures showing some of the variety of flans and patination these come in.

Ben

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2020, 08:51:16 pm »
Well of course there plenty of these types which aren't struck on old coins, but some seem to be, including (although I don't think anyone has actually said so) Vincent's original coin here.

Ross G.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2020, 01:21:43 am »
Here is a picture of one being sold as a reproduction without any form😳of indication it is a fake.
Granted it is not high quality, but I wonder how many of these are passable?
Seems there are many examples on search engines for a so called rare issue!😳

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 03:15:12 pm »
It has COPY stamped on the reverse.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President