Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Decentius Caesar, Aquileia mint, Æ2-3, cf. RIC 178.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Decentius Caesar, Aquileia mint, Æ2-3, cf. RIC 178.
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:57 pm »
Hello,

The reverse legend of my coin is "VIRTVS EXERCITVM" but not "VIRTVS EXERCITVS" as RIC VIII describes:

Decentius Caesar, Aquileia mint, officina 2, 351-352 AD.,
Æ2-3 (ø 18,5-19,5 mm / 3,30 g), bronze, axis about coin alignment ↑↓ (ca. 200°),
Obv.: D N DECENTI - VS FORT CAES , his bare-headed draped and cuirassed bust r.
Rev.: VIRTVS EXERCITVM / AQ S , emperor, bare-headed and in military dress, standing left, holding globe and scepter.
cf. RIC VIII, p. 331, no. 178 (R) (reverse legend VIRTVS EXERCITVS, an error or guess?) ; cf. LRBC 918 ; www.nummus-bible-database.com - .

As i did not find a picture of another coin i suppose RIC is not correct here. Maybe nobody had a well preserved specimen of this rare issue with visible M ?
Or this is a slip of the engraver resulting in a different reverse die ?
The coin looks official to me so i would exclude a contemporary imitation.

???

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Decentius Caesar, Aquileia mint, Æ2-3, cf. RIC 178.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:36 pm »
Apparently only three other specimens are known, two of them with a clear S at the end of EXERCITVS.

Bastien 359, pl. XI, Milan. Exergue damaged, but reading [AQ]S seems probable. Last letter of EX - ERCITVS off flan, so EX - ERCITV[M] can't be excluded. From different dies than yours.

Bastien Supplement 359a, pl. S V, BM. Mintmark mostly off flan, read AQP, but AQS  looks more likely. ERCITVS on right fully clear. From different dies than both yours and the Milan coin.

Ditto 359b, same pl. S V, Auctiones 10, 1979, 799. Mintmark clearly [A]QT. ERCITVS on right fully clear.

So your EX - ERCITVM indeed appears to be a new legend variety, unless that is the correct reading of the Milan specimen too!
Curtis Clay

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:26 am »
Apparently only three other specimens are known, two of them with a clear S at the end of EXERCITVS.

Bastien 359, pl. XI, Milan. Exergue damaged, but reading [AQ]S seems probable. Last letter of EX - ERCITVS off flan, so EX - ERCITV[M] can't be excluded. From different dies than yours.

Bastien Supplement 359a, pl. S V, BM. Mintmark mostly off flan, read AQP, but AQS  looks more likely. ERCITVS on right fully clear. From different dies than both yours and the Milan coin.

Ditto 359b, same pl. S V, Auctiones 10, 1979, 799. Mintmark clearly [A]QT. ERCITVS on right fully clear.

So your EX - ERCITVM indeed appears to be a new legend variety, unless that is the correct reading of the Milan specimen too!

Thank you Curtis !
I´m always surprised about the possibilities to find little treasures in those neglected late Roman areas.

:)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 12:30:29 pm »
I have one of these too. I just came across Arminus's coin with it's clear EXERCITVM legend, and on inspection it seems mine is the same too. The final letter of the legend is mostly off-flan, but it does seem to start with the straight upright of an "M" rather than being an "S".

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity