Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek vase  (Read 1239 times)

Offline VCollector

• Consul
Greek vase
« on: November 17, 2020, 03:55:26 pm »
Hello,

Could u say me more details about this greek vase? Thanks.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Greek vase
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 06:16:45 pm »
It says it is a copy of a Corinthian vase.  I did a quick google search.  I didn't find an exact match but the lions are of similar style

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:59:30 am »
It looks like a high end tourist item.  It appears to be hand painted.

Not what you would find in a typical tourist shop in Greece today, more like in a museum replicas store.  But is the type of thing found in tourist shops decades ago.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline VCollector

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:21:21 pm »
It says it is a copy of a Corinthian vase.  I did a quick google search.  I didn't find an exact match but the lions are of similar style

Thank you very much!

Offline VCollector

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:25:11 pm »
Thank you very much. I updated post with better photos. I bought it on antique market. I can see that there are scuffs on the vase, as if it were the original. But I did not find same original vase.

It looks like a high end tourist item.  It appears to be hand painted.

Not what you would find in a typical tourist shop in Greece today, more like in a museum replicas store.  But is the type of thing found in tourist shops decades ago.

SC

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 08:23:39 pm »
I want to say that the style of vase is a lekthyos.  You should be able to look up the style and what it was used for.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity