Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Metcalf Crusader coinage reference question  (Read 524 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Metcalf Crusader coinage reference question
« on: March 30, 2022, 06:59:14 am »
Can anybody tell me if there are major differences between the first and second editions of Metcalf's reference on Crusader coinage?
Regards
Gert

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: Metcalf Crusader coinage reference question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:27:04 am »
As regards Metcalf's Coinage of the Crusades and the Latin East in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, only the second edition gets cited widely. It's twice the size of the first edition and the numbering of coins is different.  It's a source of some frustration using the earlier edition. 

I just updated the Numiswiki entry to show the earlier edition (there are two entries, actually, one with "Crusades" and one with "Crusaders").

Royal Numismatic Society, Special  Publication no. 28. Second, revised edition (London, 1995). 578 pages, 48 plates, maps.
Royal Numismatic Society, Special Publication No. 15. (London, 1983. First Edition). 248 pages, 36 plates.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Metcalf Crusader coinage reference question
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 11:24:22 am »
Thanks a lot - Exactly what I wanted to know. Have to look out for the 2nd edition. (Any leads appreciated, btw)
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity