Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tiber Patina?  (Read 3569 times)

Douglas

Tiber Patina?
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:48:05 pm »
Joe has added the following Nero Sestertius to the Forum catalog, and it is described as having a "Tiber patina". What is this exactly as this is the first I've heard of it.

<a href="https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=55&zpg=20460" title="Photo Sharing">[/url]

Doug

(I have to add, I wish I could afford this coin. Click the image to go to the sale page)

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
Re: Tiber Patina?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:10:07 pm »
The term "Tiber patina" originated from bronze coins found in the Tiber that do would not have a mineral patina but they do have a golden brown tone that people often like.  So people commonly describe bronze coins that do not have a patina, but are nicely toned, "Tiber patina".  This is only a description of the metal surface and not a claim they came out of the Tiber.
Richard
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:34:45 am »
It is claimed that this special yellow patina occured if a bronze coin stays for a long time in clayey earth or mud. These coins are found often in the alluvial sand of the mouth of big rivers. Sadly this patina is often rough and granulous. If it is smooth it raises the value of the coin.

Best regards

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:54 pm »
Thank you both for your replies. That was very educational.

Doug

All coins are guaranteed for eternity