Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Orientation?  (Read 2976 times)

Misanthropus

Orientation?
« on: December 23, 2003, 01:53:14 am »
Could anyone help me with the proper orientation of this Durotriges stater which I won a few months ago?  It is one of those abstract types, and for the life of me, I can't decide how to scan it properly.  It is attributed as S. 366 v. 1235, 54-45 B.C.

Misanthropus

Re:Orientation?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2003, 01:54:37 am »
Is this the obverse, reverse?

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2003, 11:44:24 am »
In my edition of Sear your first image is listed to be reverse. As for scans orientation, both yours seem to fit Sear.
Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Catuvolcos

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2003, 01:59:17 pm »
Here is a picture of the obverse and reverse of this coin.

Catuvolcos ;)

Misanthropus

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 04:22:48 am »
Thank you both for your assistance!  Now, if one but knew if these designs were originally intended to depict something and if not, how obverse is distinguished from reverse!  So many if's.....

Harry

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 10:13:16 am »
Sear says:
obv: Laur. head of Apollo right of very crude style and scarcely recognizable.
rev: very crude disjointed horse galloping left. Large pellet beneath.
 ???
Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Misanthropus

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 12:31:01 pm »
Thanks for the description, Luigi.  I'd never have guessed that's what was on either side, I tell you, not even in a god-induced trance!

Catuvolcos

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2003, 03:51:37 am »
Here's a picture where you can see what the original design was on the obverse (head to the right) and the reverse (horse with biga) during the second century BC.

Misanthropus

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 10:26:02 am »
Thanks for the clarification!  Things certainly DID fall apart, didn't they?

Catuvolcos

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 12:06:59 pm »
Yes they did and that's why I love celtic coins!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity