Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Why are there no pictures of Amandus antoniniani anywhere?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Harry G

• Consul
Why are there no pictures of Amandus antoniniani anywhere?
« on: November 03, 2018, 02:26:48 pm »
Hello all,

Whilst browsing eBay, I came across a fake antoninianus of Amandus from a fake seller (shown below). However, I have never seen a genuine picture, let alone a photo of an Amandus coin. Why is this? Normally, there are lots of photos of even the rarest coin online. Incidentally, if anybody does have a picture or photo of an Amandus antoninianus, I would love to see it!  ;D

Thanks!
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Why are there no pictures of Amandus antoniniani anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:46:55 pm »
It seem that this « emperor » is almost unknown. The only surviving coin of him is in the collection of Sir Arthur Evans. We don’t even find him in the list of the 30 Tyrans from Augusta. For a picture of the famous coin, can’t find anything.
DT

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:14:48 pm »
Perhaps there are no pictures because there are no coins  :-\.

If I understand David Wood right ("Amandus: rustic rebel or pirate prince?": https://www.academia.edu/7109877/Amandus_Rustic_Rebel_or_Pirate_Prince) Amandus didn't mint coins at all and the two specimens cited are Renaissance forgeries  >:(.

Nevertheless there is a picture in the German Wikipedia article about Amandus: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amandus_(Bagaudenf%C3%BChrer)
(a corresponding article in English doesn't exist).

Regards

Altamura

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 06:24:56 pm »
Also : https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Amandus
And thanks Altamura for the picture.
DT

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:56:06 pm »
Thanks for your help guys!  ;D

I had never seen a coin of Amandus before, so this is very helpful for me. His portrait looks like a cross between Tetricus I and Carausius!

Thanks again!
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

SEstiot

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:21:03 am »

Oh, a brand new fake for Amandus!

As Altamura showed, David Woods' excellent article says everything that has to be said on Amandus from the ancient sources.
From the numismatic (?) point of view, I am not sure that there is anything new since Webb's doubts RIC V.II (1933), p. 579, 595 and Sutherland's NC (1944) article, but may I add another one to these beautiful (??) fakes? The Amandus fake now in Bibliothèque nationale de France, Paris (ex-collection of fakes Boutin), a radiate coin with a nummus reverse Genio Populi Romani. Directly from the hand of the forger I called "Illustrateur de l'Histoire Auguste", active around the middle of the XVIth century, author of some other nice coins (??) in the name of Aureolus, Proculus, Saturninus, Lollianus, and so on.
It is always refreshing to see that modern counterfeiters are still reading ancient sources... Thank you to Harry G. to have posted this Carausian-style Amandus.
Sylviane Estiot

SEstiot

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:05:13 am »
The most convincing (?) coin of Amandus is the one in the Evans collection, RIC V.2, p. 579 (commentary), p. 595/2 (catalogue).

Sutherland gave his advice (??) on this coin in an article with a somehow misleading title : C.H.V. Sutherland, The Evans collection at Oxford. Roman Coins of the Early Empire, NC 1944, p. 1-26, pl. I-IV, as he treats of some oddities/rarities of the Evans collection apart of the "Early Empire" coins...

I append here Sutherland's commentary (p. 26) and the pics of the Evans Amandus coin (pl. IV, 15-16) [Note that there is a mistake in the numbering on the plate: text p. 26 says "pl. IV, 14", which becomes 15-16 on plate IV as the obverses and reverses of the last 2 coins of the plate have been numbered by the NC editor]

The effigy style and the reverse evokes a Tetricus I radiate imitation, but the obverse legend diverges without showing any obvious trace of retooling of a Tetricus imitation. Webb's and Sutherland's careful British "retenue" about this coins is quite understandable...

S. Estiot

All coins are guaranteed for eternity