Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla, face to face  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
Caracalla, face to face
« on: November 19, 2018, 09:41:29 am »
It's not a coin, but it's the most realistic colorization of an ancient bust that I've ever seen - Caracalla, as he would've looked in life:

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Caracalla, face to face
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:45:00 am »
Wow.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline nummis durensis

• Praetorian
    • perinawa
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:39:41 pm »
Great job.

It's the Caracalla from Napoli / Italy, I see  +++

regards
Rainer

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »
There was a thread a while back about a museum (?) that was taking models of various sculptures and adding hair and colorizing the flesh tones.

Some of them were almost lifelike !!

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 03:24:02 pm »
Maybe you have this in mind:

https://www.muenzenwoche.de/de/News/Antike-Charakterkoepfe-neu-in-Szene-gesetzt/4?&id=5058

A project of the "Theaterakademie August Everding" and the "Staatliche Antikensammlung" in Munich.

But the Caracalla is really breathtaking!

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:31 pm »
I believe that is what I remember seeing.  At least the process and results seem to be the same.  I don't recall it being in German, but it very well could have been.

Wouldn't it be quite a sight to see all of the "Twelve Caesars" recreated like that ?

And then add some Disney-esque animatronics and you'd have a real show !!

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:00:42 pm »
There is actually an exposition hosted in Quebec city (canada ) intitled ''My twin is 2000 years old''. For the last 2 years, 108000 people  from all around the world sended a picture of someone who look like one of  the 24 bust of famous characters of the ancient world (roman,greek or egyptian…) Of this number, 25 were choosen with the help of a facial recognition system.The result is breathtaking. Feels like those characters came back to life. I post some pictures of the exhibit.
 DT
https://vimeo.com/296853291

All coins are guaranteed for eternity