Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Added new books to my library- Coin Hoards  (Read 447 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
Added new books to my library- Coin Hoards
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:40:41 pm »
I have just added 7 new books to my growing library.  The are Coins Hoards published by the RNS Volume I to Volume VII.   If anyone needs any information from them I will be happy to help. From the Mark and Lottie Salton Library.

Blayne

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Added new books to my library- Coin Hoards
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 09:55:29 am »
A key set from an important family of collector-dealers.  They are subject of a longer piece in ANS bulletin.  Fascinating lifestories.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 10:55:49 am »
Blayne,

Nice books.  You might be sorry you asked....

I would be very interested to know if any hoards are listed which break down late Roman bronze coinage by full field and mint mark.  I am especially interested in FEL TEMP REPARATIO Falling Horsemen and the Valentinianic GLORIA ROMANORVM and SECVRITAS REIPVBLICAE types, tough any type from 324-395 is of interest.

It is very hard to find hoard info that actually includes this level of detail.  Most provide the type without marks, or, especially for older listing just the Emperor.  It is sad but true that late Roman bronzes have not been seen as "worth the effort" by many numismatists - list every mark on an Alexander tetradrachm - why of course - but waste time on these little things - no way.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 01:30:19 pm »
Shawn, just browsing through 2 of the books, the rest I left at work, there does seem to be some breakdown of some of the hoards by mintmark.  In R. Bland's description of A mid-fourth century Hoard from Turkey from Book VII, he describes looking at over 600 FEL TEMP REPARATIO Falling Horsemen.  I have attached a snap of 2 of the 16 pages in the article.  Is this the sort of information you were looking for? 

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 05:06:22 pm »
Ohhhh.  With weights too.  Yes, that is exactly what I am looking for!

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 05:51:01 pm »
Awesome,  I will grab photos of the whole chapter for you.   Not sure if I can or should put them on here or if you message me your email I can just email the whole chapter.  The book has a pretty fragile spine so probably have to take pictures rather than scan.

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 09:53:12 pm »
Let's remember to send some tangible support to the societies that publish these detailed research publications!
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity