Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The mother of all weights?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
The mother of all weights?
« on: February 06, 2021, 05:02:35 pm »
This is a Roman granite (stone) market barrel weight.

It is 11.6 lbs (modern) or 5.3 kg.  (I can't get any more accurate with the household scale.)

It is 12 cm tall, 15 cm in diameter.  The flat top part is 11 cm diameter.

In the first (top-view) picture you can see the remains of the lead plug that I assume once secured a metal hook in place.

In the second (side-view) picture you can see the barrel shape.

In the third (oblique view) picture you can see an old crack down the side with a short rectangular grove cut in it  that I assume once contained a lead repair plug - these are well known from repair of large terra sigillata vessels.  I place a sestertius of Marcus Aurelius on top of it in order to get an easy impression of its size.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Justin W

• Consul
  • Justin W
Re: The mother of all weights?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 06:08:26 pm »
This is a very cool weight, if I saw it I would just assume it’s a rock   ;D  Congratulations for getting the king of all ancient weights.

Best Regards,
Justin

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:17:25 pm »
looks like granite rock?how deep does that hole go in the top?

Nice weight!

CW

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 08:00:50 am »
The hole is about 2 cm deep but there is lead under that so it might have been deeper.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity