Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this Phrygia Synnada?  (Read 346 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:36:44 am »
Hi folks,

About 20 years ago, I purchased a coin from Mr. Lindgren. He attributed it as Moesia, Markianopolis. However, I highly doubt that attribution.

The reverse figure is described as Hermes because he appears to be holding a caduceus. However, the tip of the "caduceus" may just be some sort of surface issue. And it may be Zeus holding a sceptre and Victory. There may be another surface issue below the "Victory".

Here is a link to the coin (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_moesia_mark_pt01.htm

I looked in acsearch. Coins issued in Phrygia, Synnada somewhat match this type. But I don't know if the legends are a 100% match.

Also, my example looks very crude, almost barbarous, especially the obverse portrait.

What do Forum members think?

Meepzorp

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
Probably a die match with this example from Marcianopolis

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=7775892

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Is this Phrygia Synnada?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
Hi shanxi,

Thank you for the reply. I need all the help I can get.

The coin in the acsearch link was just posted a few months ago, and it is extremely rare. That explains why I couldn't find any similar examples when I did searches in the past, including when I originally posted my coin.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity