Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Deities on Roman Coins  (Read 780 times)

jslade

Deities on Roman Coins
« on: August 27, 2021, 04:17:15 pm »
Hello,

Has anyone ever come across anything along the lines of a chart that shows the correlation between the coinage of the roman emperors and which deities appeared on their reverse? I'm envisioning something like an Excel document that has all of the emperors listed in the first column and all of the deities listed in the first row. The intersecting cells could then be highlighted if that particular combination had ever been minted.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Deities on Roman Coins
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:07:29 am »
I have never seen such a thing.

There is a two volume work published by the Östereichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften called Typenatlas der römischen Reichsprägung von Augustus bis Aemilianus, by Franziska Schmidt-Dick.

This breaks down reverse types, of all denominations/metals, not only by deities but also by other individuals.  It further breaks them down by pose and attributes they hold. 

However, it has three challenges: it consists of two large expensive volumes, it only covers Augustus to Aemilian, and it is in German.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 10:29:22 pm »
The Plant book on Greek coins does list deities and I find that entire book useful, as it also lists other aspects of coins. I like the pen and ink drawings, as well. I am surprised there isn't something like it for Roman. That book is pretty useful for me in getting in the ballpark that points me in the correct direction.

Virgil

jslade

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 07:00:04 pm »
Thanks you both for the leads. I will keep looking.

JSlade

Offline vrtsprb

• Praetorian
    • Coins of Probus
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 12:18:10 pm »
Has anyone ever come across anything along the lines of a chart that shows the correlation between the coinage of the roman emperors and which deities appeared on their reverse?

Someone went part way, an interesting idea, but as far as I can see a little bit tedious in how it works, and the reverse types don't display all the emperors who struck them… but it is a good start…

https://www.all-your-coins.com/fr/search-by-picture/romaines-167/type-de-revers-268/allegorie-debout-288/

I've been working, over the years, on charting all reverses (deities, or not) in order to track when a particular type has appeared, how long it was in use, and if it was reprised by a following ruler in case it was discontinued. E.g. the brief revival of Pannoniae type of Decius, under Julian I. Or Probus' revival, 140 years later, of a reverse of Hadrian. But this project is far from complete, and given my pace thus far, I fear it may never be!  :(

G/<

All coins are guaranteed for eternity