Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincials of Gordian/Large and Small  (Read 888 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Provincials of Gordian/Large and Small
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:59:35 pm »

Just for the heck of it I thought that I might post a couple of coins from extremes of my collection - my largest coin and my smallest coin. Both are coins from the reign of Gordian III. Coin one, my largest is from Mysia Miletopolis and Coin two, my smallest is from Pisidia Cremna.

Coin 1:
2005.126.99 Mysia, Miletopolis

AE47; 52.55 g; 12h

Obverse: AVT KAI - M ANT GORDIANOC AVGOV Gordian, laureate, cuirassed and draped, 3/4 facing, cuirassed decorated with Gorgonion; lance in left hand, over left shoulder.
Reverse: CTRA A - VR ER - M - OV MEILHTO - PO//LEITWN Emperor Gordian on rearing horse right spearing lion crouching left.
Ref: vii.1' target='_blank'>RPC VII.1 83/1-5; Sholz I 54; Lindgren III 263

Coin 2:
2005.126.78 Pisidia, Cremna

AE13; 1.89 g; 7h

Obverse: IMP GORD Gordian, laureate, draped and cuirassed right.
Reverse: COL CREM Marsyas standing right, right hand raised; wine sack over left shoulder.
Ref:

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Provincials of Gordian/Large and Small
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »
AE47; 52.55 g

WOW!!!!
PeteB

Offline clueless

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:08:19 am »
Quite a big piece of metal to lug around in your purse once upon a time  ;D

Clueless

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:04:35 pm »
Nice coins! You could make 27.8 small ones from the larger. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity