Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arabic jade seal?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Russ

• Consul
Arabic jade seal?
« on: February 23, 2013, 08:30:34 am »
Hi Bakkar and friends,

Attached is a very hard mottled green jade seal? with an inscription using the Arabic alphabet. It is almost round, measuring 22.5/23 mm in diameter, and about 6.5 mm in thickness.  The back is tapered inward. I'm not sure if the photo is even right side up.
     I would like to know if this is a seal (mirror writing) or an amulet, meant to be read as is; can the calligraphy style be identified, a translation, if possible; and possibly its age.
     Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Russ

bakkar

Re: Arabic jade seal?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:43:09 pm »
A nice piece of art. It bears a masculine name who reads :
al-wathiq bil-Malik al-Raji Bahlul bin A'bd al-Qadir Haji Nizam al-Din

Bakkar

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »
Hi Bakkar,

Thanks again for your information.
     Is this a seal? Is there any way of telling where in the Moslem world this came from?
     Thanks.
Russ

bakkar

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:17 pm »
No it is not a seal but made  to be inlaid on a wooden box or as a mount.
Most of your examples come from the Eastern Part of Muslim word from Iran
to India and belong to the late 19th century and the mid of 20th century.

Bakkar

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 08:39:25 am »
Hi Bakkar,

I bought most of my Arabic inscribed gems from a jeweler many years ago. He told me and had some paper indicating that he purchased them at auction, the Professor Wills Collection, in 1944. The jeweler bought them because he liked them but never did anything with them; and I followed in his footsteps. How long Professor Wills had them, I don't know.
     Once again, thanks for all your help; it really is appreciated. I have a few more...
Russ

All coins are guaranteed for eternity