Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to ID? please? Roman or Byzantion seal?  (Read 806 times)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Help to ID? please? Roman or Byzantion seal?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »
First of all, please put the diameter in your posts, and possibly the weight. Most times, there's no way to tell from a photo how large these seals are, but it's an important clue to attribution.

My guess would be late Roman, first half 5th century. In 425-35 a similar (possibly identifcal) coin type was introduced with a facing Victory holding two wreaths in outstretched hands. That type isn't described as standing on a globe, but I think it might very well be there. This parallel might also date your seal to the joint reign of Valentinian III and Theodosius II.

This type of standing Victory was also used in early Byzantine times, but those have different obv. and crosses in the fields.
Regards
Gert

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:42 pm »
Hi Gert"

All of my picture the left side you can find a mm scale , and mostly the file name included the diameter and weight (coins) and the axis .

this seal only the diameter including the filename under the picture ( 20 mm) .

I will measure the weight and post it. ( the weight very variable in the seal's but OK)

Thank you again Gert  :)

regards
 Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:04:53 pm »
Now I see, I overlooked!
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity