Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arsinoite Tessera from Egypt, need ID  (Read 1057 times)

Amon-Zeus

Arsinoite Tessera from Egypt, need ID
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:37 am »
This is a lead tessera from the Arsinoite nome in Egypt. Weight unknown. 17mm to 19mm.

I'm just a beginner so I have only the internet for reference. Any help out there?

-Ammo

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: Arsinoite Tessera from Egypt, need ID
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:30:54 am »
There is only a single type attributed to the city of Arsinoe, and that is quite different from your coin. The reclining obverse figure appears to be holding a caduceus? I can't make anything out of the reverse. Is there anything in particular that makes you think it is Egyptian?

For comparison, here is an issue of Arsinoe:

Amon-Zeus

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:56:45 am »
First, thank you for your help!

The tessera was found recently by a friend of mine in an agricultural area near the ancient lake of Moeris. It is definitely from the geographic locale of the Arsinoite Nome.

If there is only one Arsinoite tessera on record, then this is either a second, or from a different (earlier? later?) time period than that for which the region was named the Arsinoite Nome.

If there are no further records, what would you suggest I do?

-Ammo

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
A single find spot is not quite enough to determine where it was produced. While most tesserae obviously circulated in the city or area where they were produced, they have infrequently been found as far afield as the Sinai and Israel. Until more are discovered, either in the Arsinoe region or elsewhere, the most we can say is "Uncertain Egypt."

By the way, it appears that almost all of the Egyptian leads were produced not by the nomes or the central government, but by the individual cities. Iwaniw con probably add more information (or an altering opinions) on this subject.

As far as further action, I would want to see the reverse type before attempting to identify the figure on the obverse. Careful cleaning is required. Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on that subject.

Amon-Zeus

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 09:44:15 am »
While there's still room for more, I've learned much!

Thank you, Ardatirion

-Ammo

All coins are guaranteed for eternity