Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Attributing Byzantine Seal  (Read 807 times)

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Help Attributing Byzantine Seal
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:35:41 pm »
I have not been able to attribute this seal:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Help Attributing Byzantine Seal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:28 am »
Obv. has an invocational monogram (theotoke boethe) with TW/CW/DU/LW in the fields. As you see, the blank used is a bit too small to contain all of dies. That's why part of the rev. inscription is missing.

(first line off flan)
PIXW (Pi)AT...
K' KAI CTPA
THGW....

Personal name is probably Soterichos, patrikios and strategos. The last letters of the 4th line and the last line probably contains the domain. Not sure what it reads.

Regards
Gert

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Help Attributing Byzantine Seal
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 04:02:26 pm »
Thanks Gert.  Someday I hope I will be able to read these inscription.   

I took me a little while to figure out that obverse invocation means God-bearer [the Virgin Mary], help your servant.  (For me it was a fun puzzle).

The type is not listed in the refs I hold:
Jordanov, I. Corpus of Byzantine Seals from Bulgaria. (Sofia, 2003).
Metcalf, D.M. Byzantine Lead Seals from Cyprus. (Nicosia, 2004).
Nesbitt, J. et al., eds. Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and the Fogg Museum of Art. (Washington, DC. 1991-2005).
Spink. Byzantine Seals from the Collection of George Zacos, Part I. Auction 127 (7 October 1998). London.
Spink. Byzantine Seals from the Collection of George Zacos, Part II. Auction 132 (25 May 1999). London.
Spink. Byzantine Seals from the Collection of George Zacos, Part III. Auction 135 (6 October 1999). London.
Zacos, George. Byzantine Lead Seals. (Berne, 1972-84). 

I think there is a possibility that this is Jordanov-Zhekova Shuman 297: Soterichos, patrikios and strategos of Thrace, 10th century.  Unfortunately I don't own that ref and I cannot find an image of the type.  If anyone has Jordanov-Zhekova Shuman, please let me know if this seal is listed.

Jordanov, I and Z. Zhekova. Catalogue of Mediaeval Seals at the Regional Historical Museum of Shumen. (Sofia, 2007).

Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity