Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What is this thing?  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
What is this thing?
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »

This is a tiny lead tessera - 0.775g, 9.3mm.  Before even attempting attribution...what is that thing on it?  Anyone know?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: What is this thing?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »
Tadpole?

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 06:06:43 pm »
A wineskin? Sealing an amphora?
PeteB

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »
What a strange piece.  Is that a comma on the obverse? :)
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

razvanp

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:02:16 am »
A bone fish hook?

Offline crispus

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:49 am »
 A genie emerging from a lamp?

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 06:34:56 am »
Is there any chance it could be much more recent, i.e. 17th century? In which case the ‘thing’ might be a clay pipe, and the object a bag seal or a tobacco token.

Bill R.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:00:33 am »
Jaimelai's satyr could give his opinion.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:18 am »

I was wondering if it could be a phallic symbol as well.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:51:31 am »

Chris

In which case it might seal something of Trojan origin...    ;D

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 01:43:57 pm »

Chris

Same here

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »
The image bears a striking resemblance to the reverse of another anepigraphic mystery coin.  Hemidrachm, Silver, 1.98 g 12

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:56 pm »
It does appear to be the same thing.  Is the mint or date known for that hemidrachm?  Or is that a mystery too? 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:58 am »
That tiny silver coin is on Nomos Auction right now:
I agree with it to be a wine flask made of animal skin, or water flask, since it is still in use till now in the small villages on the East, and they use the flask to shake milk as well to make butter , I dont think that the Hemidrachm was minted in Judaea, due to the symbol The Lilly use under the Seleucid rule, and it wasent allowed for the Jews to struck coins on silver with there own symbols, however the symbols indicate connection to Judaea and Jerusalem for sure, so for it to be minted in Cilicia by the Jewish community is very strong argument .
 it is very interesting tessera Joe, and yours would  be more reasonable to be Judaean .

The silver coin was ID:

Judaea (or Cilicia), Hellenistic Period. Jerusalem (?). c. 132-130. Hemidrachm (Silver, 1.98 g 12). Lily; pearl border. Rev. Uncertain object, perhaps a wine flask made of an animal skin, some sort of wind instrument with a mouth piece, or, possibly, a gourd used as a rattle in rituals; border made of a wreath of lily blossoms. Apparently unique and unpublished). An extraordinary coin of the greatest interest and mystery. Good very fine. From the PGB collection, apparently acquired in ancient Zephyrion, modern Mersin, in 1964.
This coin is almost inexplicable. The fact that it is anepigraphic certainly does not help; in some ways this is rather reminiscent of the kind of curious Late Roman silver issues that appeared in the 4th and 5th centuries (those celebrating the House of Constantine from the mint of Constantinople, for example). However, both stylistically and technically such a date is impossible. The place where this piece was purchased, a bustling modern port city with a very long history, could mean that the coin is of Cilician origin, but the fact that it is certainly Hellenistic in date and anepigraphic goes against this, since coins were simply not made in this way in that area at that time. Thus, we could postulate that this coin came from elsewhere and probably arrived in Cilicia in ancient times. The lily is, however, often a specifically Jewish symbol, and has a clear connection with Jerusalem. The lily wreath on the reverse reinforces this symbolism, though the mysterious object on the reverse is as yet unstudied and unidentified save for the few possibilities mentioned above (though it must have some ritual significance). In fact, the best parallel for this coin comes from the prutot that were issued in the name of Antiochos VII by John Hyrcanus I in the late 130s BCE. If that connection seems reasonable, the production of this coin might be connected with Temple usage, perhaps as an attempt to provide a completely Jewish coin for donative purposes, free from any form of pagan symbolism. The fact that there were a considerable numbers of Jews living in Cilicia in ancient times (at least by the 1st century BCE; among other places Zephyrion is mentioned in the Talmud), provides a number of possibilities. 1) this coin was minted in Cilicia for ritual Jewish use by the local community; 2) this coin was minted in Judaea for ritual use and arrived in Cilicia as a keepsake. In any case, what we have, in this small silver coin, is a relic of astounding historical importance.

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:52:09 am »
I carry one all the time.... keeps thirst at bay.... and when in Pamplona its helps to anesthetize any  encounters with aberrant bulls... 8)  and old Marsyas always had a gallon one at the ready!

Offline Ardatirion

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:57 am »
This piece resides in my collection now. I had suggested a cornucopia or aplustre, but those both seem unlikely. An identifaction as a wine flask or phallus both seem more likely now.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity