Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anonymous. AR Didrachm help needed  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Anonymous. AR Didrachm help needed
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:04 am »
The coin first picture is currently for sale by an anction house.
The coin for sale is from the same dies as my coin from my black cabinet.
Both have the same defects, pearls etc. but different centering.
I suspected mine to be a cast fake, because of the pearls, soft details like hair, casting defects but the other coin with different centering have all of them, too.
Are they transfer die fakes and the defects are in the die because the dies were made due to casting?
Does the Cycle at the reverse show the flan shape of the host?
The cycle is the same on mine and the coin for sale which prooves that it is not from striking but in the dies.

Anonymous. AR Didrachm-Quadrigatus, c. 225-214 BC. Obv. Laureate Janiform head of Dioscuri. Rev. Jupiter, holding sceptre and hurling thunderbolt, in fast quadriga right, driven by Victory; below, ROMA incuse on raised tablet. Cr. 28/3. AR. g. 5.97 mm. 21.00 Of superb style, with an attractive light old cabinet tone with golden hues. EF

Weight of mine is 5.93g

Your help is much appreciated !!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Anonymous. AR Didrachm help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:31 am »
Does the Cycle at the reverse show the flan shape of the host?
The cycle is the same on mine and the coin for sale which prooves that it is not from striking but in the dies.

Din,

Quadrigati have a solid line circle for a reverse border, so this reverse line would not be the flan shape of a host coin. This reverse line border should be identical for coins struck from the same dies.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:43:04 am »
The part of thunderbolt of Jupiter is missing which is supposed to be behind line border, why?.
Behind the quadriga the border line stops abrupt, why?

I would be happy if the coin at auction would be genuine because it has the same suspicious surface and problems and odd style as mine (but artificial toning), but I have serious doubts, I bought mine very cheap as fake.

Does anyone know if are made from modern dies or pressed/struck from transfer dies?

Best regards

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:51:31 am »
The weight is wrong for both pieces for didrachms of this style. This is considered an early style issue and all these have weights usually above 6.5 grams. Lighter quadrigati do exist but not in this style

The comment about the missing hand/thunderbolt outside the border circle is valid. The thunderbolt's are supposed to extend beyond the circle.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:42 am »
The weight is wrong for both pieces for didrachms of this style. This is considered an early style issue and all these have weights usually above 6.5 grams. Lighter quadrigati do exist but not in this style

The comment about the missing hand/thunderbolt outside the border circle is valid. The thunderbolt's are supposed to extend beyond the circle.

Thank you !

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:07:01 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:56:19 pm »
I always add why they are fake and for me it would be important to know if they are fakes from modern dies or fakes from transfer dies.
All I know so far is that they are fake because of the wrong to low weight.
I found an authentic example with similar style maybe even from same artist with corrrect weight 6,8 g.
I think they are transfer die fakes.
Added pictured of the edge of my fake.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 05:39:48 am »
Solved it myself. (transfer die fakes)
Found an authentic  die match with correct weight 6.99 g

All coins are guaranteed for eternity