Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)  (Read 4477 times)

tkonnova

Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
Hi all,

Ive got another lamp, not sure if it is authentic or not. Any help with attribution would be greatly appreciated =)

Thanks all!

Strobilus

Re: Lamp - modern or ancient? (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:48:39 pm »
This type of lamp was made in the Levantine region of northern Jordan and parts of northern Israel in the 6th - early 7th centuries AD.

Although lamps from this region have been extensively faked, this example does appear to be authentic from the images.

tkonnova

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:44 am »
Hi all,

Thanks Strobilus, that certainly looks right from other examples of the type you suggested.

Can anyone suggest a method of cleaning i might use to remove more of the sandy/crusty dirt that is encasing my lamp?

Thanks all!

seth

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:43:45 pm »
id say you leave it be. the deposits dont affect the details as far as i can see in the pics.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity