Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus Provincial  (Read 1252 times)

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
Septimius Severus Provincial
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:47:15 am »
Need confirmation on this coin of Sept Severus I found this description on
CoinArchives [DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] THRACE, Pautalia. Septimius Severus. 193-211 AD. Æ 31mm (16.80 gm). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind / Lion attacking horse running left. SNG Copenhagen -; Mionnet -; BMC Thrace -; Varbanov 3012. Extremely rare and unusual reverse type.  I think this coin is a match. size and weight about the same  as well as obv and rev
image. Very few letters are visable. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Mike

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
Re: Septimius Severus Provincial
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:39:57 am »
Since I"m about  90% sure I got the attribution right. Is this coin Extremely rare  as the description says?
Thanks
Mike

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:31:54 am »
     I agree with your attribution.  Your coin is almost certainly from the same obverse die as the CNG specimen you link to and the one illustrated by Varbanov.  The reverse dies too are very similar and may be the same.
     The coin is indeed very rare.  It is not in the corpus of coins of Pautalia published by Ruzicka in 1933.  Varbanov publishes his specimen as "Unpublished, Very Rare".  Moreover it is an unusual and interesting reverse type.
     Unfortunately, despite the rarity and interest of the types, the market value of your specimen of the coin is low, because of its poor condition.
Curtis Clay

Offline OWL365

• Conservator
  • Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 03:35:04 pm »
Thank you Curtis.  I'll tag coin with this attribution and add it to my collection.
Mike

All coins are guaranteed for eternity