Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Didcot Hoard Roman Gold, UK  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Joe and Caligula at the Getty
    • Julio Claudian Coins and Art
Didcot Hoard Roman Gold, UK
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:25:43 am »
Didcot Hoard UK
CCAESAR

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Didcot Hoard Roman Gold, UK
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 01:37:53 am »
Wouldn't mind a handful of those. ;D
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:36 am »
Quote from: Mat on November 21, 2012, 01:37:53 am

just one would do me yep one gold coin would be very special as unless i dig one up i just cant see me ever owning one    ;D ;D

Offline Panathas

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:32 pm »

just one would do me yep one gold coin would be very special as unless i dig one up i just cant see me ever owning one    ;D ;D

I agree!!! ;D  I don't think I'll find a budget gold coin, as I do with some other coins. Hopefully we will be able to add one in the far future :)

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »
They are not impossible to own, but you may have to do a trade and cash to trade up.   It is hard though.   I know......................
CCAESAR

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »

I agree!!! ;D  I don't think I'll find a budget gold coin, as I do with some other coins. Hopefully we will be able to add one in the far future :)

So, I need to surprise and/or inform you. Budget ancient gold coins are easily available, often for only a small fraction over their inherent gold content. There is about $300 of gold in a solidus or about $500 in an aureus. Of course you will never, ever get a gold coin of any era for less than its gold content, so I assume that as you each want an ancient gold coins, you are willing to pay the gold price.

Solidi in GVF can be found in large numbers from about 1/3 to 1/2 above the inherent metal value. The Forvm gold shop has several nice Solidi from $480 up:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1494&pos=0&iop=50

I know by experience that sometimes you will see a battered example at less - around the metal value. But I think really bad examples are just melted down (they have essentially zero collector value because nice examples can be so cheap) so you rarely see a terrible one. Aurei are typically more expensive, with a floor price of about $1000-$1500 for worn examples but someone on Forvm a while back posted a Julius Caesar aureus which was headed to melt, I recall he paid $600.

What you wont ever see - and should not expect to see - is a gold coin retailing for less than its gold value. That would be like being able to buy a $100 note for $80. It never will happen. But so long as your expectations are "gold+", you can buy a budget Solidus any day, and by searching and waiting you may well find a relatively cheap aureus.

Offline Panathas

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:59 pm »

I agree!!! ;D  I don't think I'll find a budget gold coin, as I do with some other coins. Hopefully we will be able to add one in the far future :)

So, I need to surprise and/or inform you. Budget ancient gold coins are easily available, often for only a small fraction over their inherent gold content. There is about $300 of gold in a solidus or about $500 in an aureus. Of course you will never, ever get a gold coin of any era for less than its gold content, so I assume that as you each want an ancient gold coins, you are willing to pay the gold price.

Solidi in GVF can be found in large numbers from about 1/3 to 1/2 above the inherent metal value. The Forvm gold shop has several nice Solidi from $480 up:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1494&pos=0&iop=50

I know by experience that sometimes you will see a battered example at less - around the metal value. But I think really bad examples are just melted down (they have essentially zero collector value because nice examples can be so cheap) so you rarely see a terrible one. Aurei are typically more expensive, with a floor price of about $1000-$1500 for worn examples but someone on Forvm a while back posted a Julius Caesar aureus which was headed to melt, I recall he paid $600.

What you wont ever see - and should not expect to see - is a gold coin retailing for less than its gold value. That would be like being able to buy a $100 note for $80. It never will happen. But so long as your expectations are "gold+", you can buy a budget Solidus any day, and by searching and waiting you may well find a relatively cheap aureus.

Thanks for the info on solidi and aurei price range.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
Thanks for the info on solidi and aurei price range.

The price info is readily available (just look in the Forvm shop or other online sources); perhaps the surprise is in the relatively low mark-ups over melt, reflecting today's $2k/ounce world. As a result, my perception is that relative mark-ups over melt have shrunk in recent years.

Perhaps ancient gold coins are, relatively speaking, a bargain today., when you consider what they are made of!

Offline Joe Geranio

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »
I only collect Julio Claudian and Flavian, so this will be tough, I have tried bidding on some Valens, I love his gold,  what should they go for? I have seen them go for 200-500USD
CCAESAR

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:09:05 am »

Dear Helen,

I know how you feel as I felt just like that a while back.

You will get there :)

Regards,
mz

All coins are guaranteed for eternity