Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Slabs  (Read 2911 times)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
Slabs
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:06:12 am »
We have a sexton in our midst.  ;D

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Slabs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:14 am »
You talking about that Nero in the member gallery?

He usually cracks them out...no big deal  ::)
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
Then he will be pardoned.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »
Slabs do take the fun out of tossing 1900 y/o coins at people shouting "catch."

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:30 pm »
Just say no to slabbing ancients.  ;)

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:35 pm »
I hate how slabs make ancients look completely different.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-54258

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:02:51 am »

Offline rexesq

• Praetorian
  • I love wildlife, and Coins of the Roman Empire.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:05 am »
Yes, oh holy and benevolent benito, I see that I have displeased you by having  not removed my coin from it's slab in a speedy enough manner. I beg your forgiveness, please grant me this pardon. ;)

I bought this coin slabbed, and I do I plan on breaking it out eventually, I just had some trouble cracking the last slab I busted open, and ended up having to do it pretty roughly... it was quite a mess and I came close to damaging my coin. So I will likely wait untill I can use the proper tools at a friend's house.
 Here, I include a pic of my last removal, of a Sestertius of Severus Alexander, which is breathing much easier out of it's tomb indeed. Plus I love to be able to hold the coins themselves in my hands.

I am not a fan of slabs for ancients either, and find that there are too many factors to just have a grade and two 0/5 categories to explain the condition of a 2000 year old coin.

I am a bit surprised you started a thread about my coin..... and my lack of removing it from a slab..... You have a great collection benito, I am quite impressed with many of your coins.

Here is my last removal..... it was an ANACS holder.

*** Link trouble, so I include a link to the photos below where the img should be and I attached some as well for quick and easy viewing.... ***

right after the breakout:

link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-59140

here it is out of the holder, photo w/ flash:

link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-61405

and some more of it outside of it's prison:

link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68759

link: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68758

obv:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68761

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68760

----
Emperor Severus Alexander (222 - 232 AD)
Struck at the Rome Mint in 232 AD. AE Sestertius.

obv: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG - Laureate bust right, seen from front, draped and cuirassed.
rev: MARS VLTOR - SC below - Mars with spear and shield in the 'Ready-for-Action' position.
22.3 grams.
-----

Offline rexesq

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:34:50 am »
-------------------------------
"Slabs do take the fun out of tossing 1900 y/o coins at people shouting "catch.""
Heh, Randy.
-------------------------------
Here is another one I took out of it's slab... it was certified by one of those less than perfect certification companies 'National Numismatic Certification' sometimes called NNC, as I am sure many of you have heard of.... this coin they had graded as being "AU-50" heh...... I could tell the flan was a large flan when it was inside the slab, so when I got it out, alot easier this time since it had been opened already, it kinda peeled in two. I weighed it with my digital coin scale, the coin all by itself of course, and it weighed in at an even 5.0 Grams.... that is pretty heavy for a Postumus era Antoninianus. So I like the weight and the large flan, plus the portrait and obv are quite nice, the reverse less so. My only coin with Moneta right now.

I was told this one was likely from the Cologne or Lyons mint, but no one can tell me for sure.... My knowledge of Roman Empire coins kinda dies off for a while after the time of Valerian (and even with Valerian and Gallienus Ants I can very rarely tell the mint by looking at the coins, and am not sure where most of the ones I have of Gallienus, Salonina and Valerian I were struck).... so I know little of telling Gallic mints apart.... so if anyone knows which mint this Postumus Antoninianus is from, that would be great info for me to have.

So anyway, yes I like this coin alot more now that it is slab-free, I keep it in an envelope(same thing I do with most of my Roman and Ancient Coins), a small kind of envelope, little 2inch by 2 inch ones I buy at my local coin shop so I can take it out and hold it, look at it, or let someone else actually hold it while I am showing and explaining it to them, which can cause some interesting reactions from people..... I also like these envelopes since I can write info about the coin on them.
_-----------------------------------------------

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 03:36:12 am »
"Yes, oh holy and benevolent benito, I see that I have displeased you by having  not removed my coin from it's slab in a speedy enough manner. I beg your forgiveness, please grant me this pardon. "
Neither holy nor benevolent. Displeased,certainly. No pardon and no forgiveness.
A slab in the FAC "sancta sanctorum ( holy of holies).Heresy.
I demand once again that you ,sinner, delete this monstrosity from the BOT. Otherwise the authorities in the pic below should proceed immediately erasing
Nero's coffin from their books.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:42:29 am »
simple solution... if collectors stop buying them, the BS* will stop slabbing them.

(* - Bogus Slabbers)

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:07 am »
Slight error. The coffin is not in the BOT.Nevertheless, could the quaestors , or the Gods,delete it ?.
This extreme measure could be considered as a violation of the liberty of uploading coins. IMHO not in this case.   :angel:

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:04 am »
Slight error. The coffin is not in the BOT.Nevertheless, could the quaestors , or the Gods,delete it ?.
This extreme measure could be considered as a violation of the liberty of uploading coins. IMHO not in this case.   :angel:

We would never delete a coin from a member's gallery.

*Alex.

Offline rexesq

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:10:09 am »
"Yes, oh holy and benevolent benito, I see that I have displeased you by having  not removed my coin from it's slab in a speedy enough manner. I beg your forgiveness, please grant me this pardon. "
Neither holy nor benevolent. Displeased,certainly. No pardon and no forgiveness.
A slab in the FAC "sancta sanctorum ( holy of holies).Heresy.
I demand once again that you ,sinner, delete this monstrosity from the BOT. Otherwise the authorities in the pic below should proceed immediately erasing
Nero's coffin from their books.   ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, as someone said above, I dont have this in the BOT gallery, the coin is far inferior for such a place, I could see why someone would cal that 'Heresy'.
Benito, I don't know whether you are joking or semi-joking with all the 'happy faces' or if you are just being a serious jerk giving me a hard time over some trivial stuff, which is it?
  And, kidding/sarcasm or not (I seriously don't know) I am not going to delete the photos I took of a perfectly good coin, just because it is inside a slab. Well I didn't pay to slab the thing, nor would I with an Ancient Coin. In fact I paid less for this one slabbed than I would have for an unslabbed coin of the same type, thats the same reason I ended up with the MARS ULTOR sestertius of Severus Alexander, and the certified Postumus coin so I took the good deals I could when I could, slab or no slab, a good deal is a good deal, and that's the beauty of buying a pre-certified coin for cheap..... you can always crack it out.
------
And Enodia... I think most collectors did stop buying them (the bogus certification companies coins that is) or at least started buying them for even less than the coin is worth, and I believe that could be part of the reason I got some of my pre-certified coins for well under their value, even though I bought most of them quite a few years back. I mean the ANACS one was a decent company and so is NGC, for World Coins and US stuff. But that 'NNC' crap seems to be all over the internet.... half the time they cannot tell a Caracalla denarius from one of Elagabalus, or I have even seen coins of Elagabalus (218 - 222 AD) labelled as being of 'Antoninus Pius (138 - 161 AD)' and plenty of 'antoninianii' labelled as 'denarii' and vice versa.... things that seasoned collectors would notice, but an unsuspecting buyer might not.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity