Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aspendos slinger  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Aspendos slinger
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »
This one came from part of a collection that I recently acquired and the moment I had it in hands, I knew I would keep it.

Aspendos, Pamphylia, AR Stater, 4. Century BC.
Obv: two wrestlers grappling.
Rev: slinger in throwing stance right, EΣTFEΔIIY to left; in right field, triskeles.
22-23 mm, 10.95 g
SNG Aulock 4534

The obverse die was a bit worn, but the reverse die must have been very fresh, and the toning just made the coin irresistible to me.

Lars

PS: the pictures are clickable
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Aspendos slinger
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
The slinger and the toning are spectacular. Mine does not really compare though I'm still very happy with it and I like the wrestlers on mine.

Andreas Reich

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:33 pm »
I agree with Andreas,

And both coins are very nice, full of energy!

~Steve

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:38:21 pm »
Spectacular coin Lars! The golden toning combined with such artistic beauty is a sight to behold.

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:55:41 pm »
Nice coin with nicer surfaces!  My example is in the BOT Gallery but has a countermark which should protect it from your nicer one:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68115

In truth, all of these shown here might be considered by some collectors to be lesser examples compared to the scarce ones showing more action in the wrestling poses.  Who has one showing other poses?  I always wanted one but never found one that could follow me home.

This one is not a very nice strike but is an interesting die:
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=23667

The point here is how many factors make up a great coin.  We have strike, wear, die wear, die style, centering surfaces etc. etc. etc. These come in so many variations and they are all good

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:22 am »
What an impressive group of Aspendos staters for us to enjoy. Each has its particularly attractive elements. For a lovely tone and the stylish portrayal of the slinger I have acknowledge Lars’s coin as having the best reverse. Areich’s wrestlers, hunched and tense is the best obverse for me. Doug’s has nicely detailed obverse and reverse figures, the feeling of concentration and determination in the wrestler on the left being particularly striking. Doug’s coin also has the clear Ba'al countermark, which by a happy accident during its striking looks like it was an original design element. Overall all highly desirable.

I have looked long and hard for a good Aspendos stater at a price I could afford. So far when I’ve had the money there has not been one available as good as these three, and when I don’t have the money I can reliably expect to see a number of “good” ones! But then that’s collecting…

Just a thought… Are the wrestlers in an agreed position that gives both an equal advantage before the start of a match? I was always under the impression that the “pre action tension” was a strong feeling in this series.

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:31:08 am »
Here's one that sold a while ago and that I really like.

Andreas Reich

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:12:19 am »
What a super piece! Counter marks all over the reverse with the much rarer obverse! Here the match has clearly started and one wrestler has his leg out to throw his opponent. It would have been very, very hard for me to part with that one…

Best Regards,
Steve

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 04:11:30 pm »
It sold but I didn't sell it. More than three times what my coin (which was a very good deal) cost but still it sold quickly.
Whatever the meaning of so many countermarks they were obviously applied very thoughtfully.
Andreas Reich

Offline Steve E

• Caesar
  • My favorite Forvm purchase, so far!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »
What an exciting coin!!!

You can even see a slight smile on the face of the wrestler on the right, who is about to knock the feet out from under the wrestler on the left :)

I enjoy countermarks, especially when they are thoughtfully placed!

Its no surprise this coin went fast!

Its too bad you didn't get it, Andreas :'( But then you would have to put up with me bugging you to sell it to me ;D

~Steve

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:32 pm »
This one came from part of a collection that I recently acquired and the moment I had it in hands, I knew I would keep it.

The obverse die was a bit worn, but the reverse die must have been very fresh, and the toning just made the coin irresistible to me.

Splendid coin that is really accentuated by the peripheral golden toning. Out of interest, what percentage of those coins that cross your desk fall into the category of "I knew I would keep it"?  I assume it is a pretty rare occurrence, but you must be tempted frequently?

The countermarked specimen posted by Andreas is remarkable, not just for the careful placement of the countermarks, which enhance the reverse, but the fact that all five marks are clearly decipherable. For the mathematicians the raising of a triskeles to the power of a triskeles is something to ponder.  8)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 05:05:00 am »
It is interesting that the Aspendos staters very often come with countermarks, 35 out of 76 in von Aulock's collection had at least one countermark (some up to 6), many of them very carefully placed. Andreas' former specimen is a great example of such a coin.

Lloyd,

it depends on how one splits it up: I usually differentiate very clearly between buying coins for my collection and and buying coins for trade from the beginning. I assume your question is more about the latter group of coins, in which case I would guess that it might be one out of 30 to 50 (lots not counted, of course) that I decide to keep once I have it in hand. Of course it also depends on whether I can afford it. I am certainly tempted much more often than just in 2 or 3 % of the cases; as a dealer you just come across so many interesting coins and sometimes it is hard to quieten that little collector's voice inside.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »
excellent example!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity