Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 18mm fel temp  (Read 537 times)

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
18mm fel temp
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »
Hello Again!  It has been forever since I have pulled my coins out, but got started again.  I can't tell who this is at all, but was minted in Sirmium and is a fel temp... so I think I can rule it down to constantine, Constantius Gallus or Julian... best guess was Gallus just by profile... ?

Offline VonDrobac

• Consul
Re: 18mm fel temp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »
let try me

I would say
Constantius II
DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG
FEL TEMP-REPARATIO
ASIRM dot
left field M
RIC Sirmium 73

Constantius Gallus is not in my opinio because he is bare headed.

let someone more experienced confirm
Let justice be done, though the world perish!

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:50:13 am »
I appreciate the help!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53:54 pm »
Rules:
Any Falling Horseman with head decorated (laurel or other) is Constantius II except for a very, very few large module (21mm+) that are ConstansConstans is rare enough that it is safe to say that a coin that is not clearly Constans is 99.99% certainly Constantius.  Any small coin with decorated head is Constantius II.   Bare head coins are Constantius Gallus (any size) or Julian II (only small) but the great difference in their names makes it relatively easy to separate them with only a few letters.  The exception to all this is a super rare coin of Magnentius but if you are lucky enough to find one of those one in a million coins (figure of speech, they are probably more rare than that) you don't need to be reading the drivel from guys like me.  If you have one, prove it to me and I'll apologize. 

Offline vacationchick

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:25:12 am »
That was an incredibly helpful summary!  I printed it out so that, hopefully, next time, I can find it!
Thank you!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity