Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Fake Istrus, Thrace, AR Quarter Drachm  (Read 892 times)

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Another Fake Istrus, Thrace, AR Quarter Drachm
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »
I posted the one with red background last week and now the one with the blue background is for sale by notorious fake seller Xovana.

They are different but still very similar in appearance. Probably faked by the same person.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Another Fake Istrus, Thrace, AR Quarter Drachm
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:40 pm »
I'm very new to the hobby, and I read many of the fake reports with interest and some fear.  Potential fakes are what keep me from bidding on ebay items unless I recognize the seller from some other place (amphora or forvm for example).  After seeing this post, I looked this item up on ebay.  So I wouldn't have bid on this because I didn't recognize the seller, and the seller had a relatively low feeback number, but nothing visually would have tipped me off.  What tips an experiened person off that this particular item is fake (other than the past familiarity witht he seller)? 

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:25:51 pm »
EBay is not trusted by many buyers here on the FORVM.  If you want to ask about a coin, check the Fake Reports, and if nothing, ask in this board.
Also, you may want to look at the notorious fake sellers list of EBay usernames and other stores who commonly sell fakes.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 12:07:57 am »
ebay can be a great resource IF you know what you are doing. There are many crooks there, it is true, and much fake material. At the same time, however, there are many fine and reputable sellers on ebay with much genuine and quality material often at good prices, FORVM among them. As with buying anything anywhere, one must educate oneself, and this means understanding both how to spot fakes AND how to spot questionable sellers. Any major shopping street in any city may contain both excellent shops and crooks peddling knockoffs on the curb. The fact that there are some crooks on the street shouldn't tarnish the shops of spotless reputation nor should it sully the whole street. On ebay, as well as on a busy shopping street, it is vital to know both what you are buying and from whom you are buying.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 09:17:53 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on February 09, 2011, 08:29:40 pm
I'm very new to the hobby, and I read many of the fake reports with interest and some fear.  Potential fakes are what keep me from bidding on ebay items unless I recognize the seller from some other place (amphora or forvm for example).  After seeing this post, I looked this item up on ebay.  So I wouldn't have bid on this because I didn't recognize the seller, and the seller had a relatively low feeback number, but nothing visually would have tipped me off.  What tips an experiened person off that this particular item is fake (other than the past familiarity witht he seller)? 

The coin in question does not look very much like genuine examples of the type - to an experienced eye.  It takes time to learn how to spot fakes. There is no "tip" that I can give you that would be very helpful.   

I can advise you on how to learn to spot fakes, with increasing ability over time:  First, go through the fake coin reports and read the study listings.  Look at lots of genuine coins (Forum's store catalog is one place to look).  Read this discussion regularly.  When considering purchasing a coin, look up the type in the fake coin reports.   When you see an auction and note that the seller is on the NFSL, look at all the coins they are offering.  You could also order some books on fakes from Forum

You have the right approach.  If you are going to bid on eBay, stick to what you know.  Bid only on coins you are very confident are genuine, either because you know and trust the seller or because you feel confident about the coin from the photo.  Over time you may be able to rely more on your own abilities to judge the coin and be less dependent on the seller's reputation - but don't take risks.  Always be careful when buying from an unknown seller and don't buy unless very confident.  Keep checking the NFSL and NEVER buy from a listed seller.  Keep checking the Fake Coin Reports

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:59:45 am »
I appreciate the time the experienced collectors take to fill me in with my beginner's questions.  I am so thankful I found the Forvm's disucssion board.  Without a local ancient coin club or local dealer with knowledge of ancients, this is an invaluable resource for me as a new collector.  This includes the extensive discussions that have taken place in the past, and the ability for me to post questions.  Everyone is so polite, and no one has mocked what may seem simple questions for the intermediate or experiened collectors.  Thank you Joe Sermarini and other memebers. 

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:04 am »
Quote from: Lucas H on February 10, 2011, 09:59:45 am
I appreciate the time the experienced collectors take to fill me in with my beginner's questions.  I am so thankful I found the Forvm's disucssion board.  Without a local ancient coin club or local dealer with knowledge of ancients, this is an invaluable resource for me as a new collector.  This includes the extensive discussions that have taken place in the past, and the ability for me to post questions.  Everyone is so polite, and no one has mocked what may seem simple questions for the intermediate or experiened collectors.  Thank you Joe Sermarini and other memebers. 

May I also suggest that you take a look at Wildwinds. A database of coins with descriptions, photos and sometimes sales prices. It's a great resource to compare potential purchases to.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
Some coins - such as this one - come up regularly among the fakes. You soon learn to look twice at them.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 03:40:06 pm »
I think this one is very simple to spot. If I were to put it into words I would just say it is artistically lacking, the details are absent and not due to wear, it's smooth in appearance and the flan fabric looks just plain wrong. Just my opinions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity