Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Can this be cleaned?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Can this be cleaned?
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
Here´s an antoninianus of Aurelian. Can this be cleaned?

CzarMike

Re: Can this be cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:20:38 pm »
Yes, you should soak it in distilled water, or olive oil(I would go with water)then periodically brush it with a soft nylon brush, as there is some dirt left on it.

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:17:58 am »
Thanks, I will try this

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:01 am »
Sorry for the late reply on this

I agree fully with CzarMike ,  and would also  jujt soak in DW  and nylon brush it

The light brown dirt on the coin should come off .  the rest is as good as it's gonna get.

The green patina is a bit rough,  but any attempts to smoothen this will more than likely just remove the patina since it does not look too thick in some places

If the nylon won't remove the dirt,  I would leave it  and not attempt to go more agressive,    in my opinion,  will do more harm than good.

Please let us know of the progress on this coin

cheers

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:20:16 am »
Here´s the result on the Aurelian. Don´t think it chnged much. Maybe this is how good it going to get?

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:57:31 pm »
I don't thing there is much more to do with it. The patina does look thin, anything more aggressive mgith take it off and leave it very blotchy looking.
I tried to "improve" a Probvs with a quadriga reverse once that looked just like this. i just ended up exposing some of the high points and made it worse......Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity