Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla scowl of the day  (Read 2272 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Caracalla scowl of the day
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:40 am »
Looking at Pat’s angelic young Caracalla made me look at the examples of this emperor in my collection. I have a youthful bust on a denarius but it in no way compares in beauty to Pat’s so I thought it would be fun to have a Caracalla scowl thread. So here is my best candidate for a good Caracalla scowl!

Steve

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Caracalla scowl of the day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:05 pm »
Wow, you don't always get the trifecta with his portraits; the wavy eyebrow/wrinkled forehead, scrunched nose, and the curled lip! Nice example...

Best, Noah

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
That is so interesting.  I have one that must be based on the same official type, but the engraver tried to do the best he could by the portrait, for example tipping the head.  When I got it, I identified it as follows, but I might have just gotten that from the old (1980s) SearPat L.
01 II 00 ARden Caracalla; laureate head to r.; ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRITReverse: Hercules stg. left, with branch (Peace) and, in his left, his knotty club and the Nemean Lion's skin.  P M TR P XV COS III P P.  RIC 192.
Yours, with GERM, should be slightly later.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 08:32:09 pm »
1. Photoshopping images take care about the axis.
Even a small rotation of the bust influences the perception in a striking way.

2. It is quite interesting to follow the evolution of the Caracalla portraits
by putting them in a single row. 

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:43:48 am »
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:35:40 am »
Pat you are right about the similarity of the portraits, as you say they probably share an official bust as a source. Thanks Numerianus and Bill for the series of portraits in chronological order. They are kind of chilling, because you can actually see an egotistical monster evolving. The Romans were such insightful portrait makers. I’ve dug out my Caracalla ant to add to the thread. I don’t think it quite has the spark in it my denarius has, but it is a fine example of a scowl none the less.

Steve

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:57:13 am »
Cassius Dio, epitome of book LXXVIII, 331, 21:

He bestowed on Junius Paulinus a million sesterces because the man, who was a jester, had been led to crack a joke at the emperor's expense without meaning to do so. For Paulinus had said that Antoninus looked as if he were angry, the fact being that the emperor was wont to assume a somewhat savage expression.

Best regards

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:02:26 am »

How many of you would pick a fight with him? ;D

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:49:53 am »
Nice coins! Yes, he seems to have suffered digestive pains or something all through his adult life... He always looks so angry! I kind of like this portrait of his. He seems to be daring the lyon to attack!!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:34:29 am »
A wonderful lion!

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:20:03 am »
Thank you! Yes, a bit off-centered and with a flan flaw, but wonderful none the less. I wanted to use this coin also on the thread about ancient lenses, as I surely cannot imagine how anyone could carve a die with such minute detail without optical help!!

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity