Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 300 and Gladiator make list of 10 most historically inaccurate movies  (Read 25364 times)

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Just saw this on Yahoo and thought it was pretty funny - The movies 300 and Gladiator made the top ten list of historically inaccurate movies - perhaps not a surprise to many.  Here are the reviews.  I think they are a hoot, particularly the review of the 300!

Steve

Gladiator
"Emperor Commodus was not the sniveling sister-obsessed creep portrayed in the movie. A violent alcoholic, sure, but not so whiny. He ruled ably for over a decade rather than ineptly for a couple months. He also didn't kill his father, Marcus Aurelius, who actually died of chickenpox. And instead of being killed in the gladiatorial arena, he was murdered in his bathtub."

"Though this paean to ancient moral codes and modern physical training is based on the real Battle of Thermopylae, the film takes many stylistic liberties. The most obvious one being Persian king Xerxes was not an 8-foot-tall Cirque du Soleil reject. The Spartan council was made up of men over the age of 60, with no one as young as Theron (played by 37-year-old Dominic West). And the warriors of Sparta went into battle wearing bronze armor, not just leather Speedos."

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
Re: 300 and Gladiator make list of 10 most historically inaccurate movies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:00:28 pm »
Given that "300" was basically a cinematic comic book, was there ever any pretense that it was historically accurate?  And "Gladiator" was just the usual Hollywood period piece that, other than using a few historical names, was more about mood and image than about history.  I'm not sure that either claimed to be historical accounts - just fantasies that used historical settings. 

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:06:30 pm »
I liked both films, whatever the inaccuracies!

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:38:02 pm »
I ththink Gladiator turned a lot of people on to Ancient Rome, even with the inaccuracies as Alex notes. Its like they took a slightly watered down version of Caligula/Elagabalus and spruced up Commodus's excesses a bit. Considering he was killed the night before he was to take the Consulship dressed as a gladiator, they weren't too far off the story!

Offline Tantalus

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:39 am »
Just saw this on Yahoo ... the top ten list of historically inaccurate movies.

Link?
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:44:08 am »
I quite liked Gladiator and 300 too, more for their entertainment value than anything else. But as Gavignano says, Gladiator has done a lot to turn the general public towards ancient Rome. The producers of Gladiator took a massive risk with the movie, given that 'sword and sandal' flicks were generally considered a recipie for failiure in business and due also to that fact that no film of this genere had been made for a few decades. Fortunatly, the film was a blockbuster, most probably because people saw a reflection of their own civilisation in the vision of Rome that Ridley Scott presented.

But the most inacurrate movie of all time has to be Braveheart! This movie should be at the top of the list!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar

Offline Tantalus

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:55:52 am »
Thanks GaiusGCaligula!
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:42:02 am »
Top ten recent inaccurate films perhaps, but I wonder what they'd dredge up if they went all the way back to the days of silent movies? I'm sure I remember one where cavemen were dragging the women around by their hair and coping with dinosaurs.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 07:27:52 am »
What are the units of film inaccuracy measured in I wonder.

For a while I wondered if I was the only one on the planet who thought Gladiator was a festering pile of donkey droppings, as drama, not history.

Steve

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 12:36:55 pm »
It obviously didn't include TV movies, or else the series "Rome" would be right at the top!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 03:47:05 pm »
It wasn't as far off as Gladiator. You really shouldn't insult donkey droppings like that, Steve!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 11:09:48 am »
A much harder task. Can anyone actually name a historically accurate movie?

Personally, I quite enjoyed "Gladiator" which was basically a remake of "Fall of the Roman Empire." The TV series "Rome" was quite entertaining too. Their lack of accuracy did not detract from their entertainment value.
On the other hand I thought that "300" was utter rubbish.

Alex.

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:14 am »
I'm not so sure about this list - 2001, a historically inaccurate movie?  ::)

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 11:55:30 am »
A much harder task. Can anyone actually name a historically accurate movie?

Personally, I find the Masada miniseries starring Peter O'Toole worthy enough to mention.

The glaring inaccuracy here is the depiction of the Jews on Masada as 'Freedom' fighters, which certainly was not the case. In reality the Masada Jews raided nearby Jewish settlements as well as harassing the Romans. Even so, there are hints in the film that all was not well within the Jewish faction defending the fortress.

Peter O'Toole plays the leading role of the Roman general Flavius Silva given the thankless task of reducing a strong fortress in the middle of an inhospitable desert with summer fast approaching. Silva is depicted not as a brute, but as a thoughtful soldier who knows the benefits of peace.

Certainly any film depicting these events will have to fictionalize a lot of the story, mainly because much of it remains a mystery...even the fact that the Jews in the end committed mass suicide rather than submit to Roman rule is called into question by some archaeologists.

Despite some of these flaws, I think the film is a splendid example of what it was like for the Roman army to be out on campaign.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:12 pm »
Whether 2001: A Space Odyssey was 'historical' or not, it heartens me to mention the most hilarious movie I ever saw: Helen of Troy.  The Palace at Troy by itself was an anti-architectural hodge-podge well worth the price of admission.  And Sir Cedric Hardwicke delivering "Is this the face that launched a thousand ships?" (wrong script, of course).  And all in extreme technicolor.  Was Rosanna Posdesta the star's name?  It was a long time ago, but we disgraced ourselves howling and rolling in the aisles, and I'll never forget it.
Pat L.

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 06:51:32 pm »
What short memories we have! Does anyone remember The Fall of the Roman Empire starring the beautiful Sophia Loren as Lucilla and Alec Guinness as the divine Marcus? The plot is so similar that in many ways Gladiator is just a remake. 
There is a modern phenomenon going on in movies that both these films show as art forms depicting the past. When a modern person looks at a piece of art that is meant to represent the past they expect the past to look different from their present. This is so ingrained into us that the film industry even has an Academy Award for costume. Whatever the historical inaccuracies of the plot in Gladiator, the actors certainly looked like ancient Romans. Of course you can quibble with some of the details, I thought our hero’s helmet in one scene looked more Norman than Roman, and I think there would be an etiquette problem with a big name gladiator wearing Roman army parade mask in the arena. Overall though, I thought the portrayal very good (except the marble statues were not painted as they should have been)

When it comes to plot however, I think film makers find that what actually happened is too complex, subtle and mysterious to work with an audience. I think this is no new discovery. Would you get an accurate view of the past through one of Shakespeare’s historical plays? Now having said that, I like a lot of others in this forum I suspect, like a film to have historical accuracy in the plot. But the sad truth is most of our fellow human beings do not. If a film producer tries plot accuracy the film will be too long and demand too much thought from its audience. In short the film will probably flop. While I can happily sit through 138 minutes of Tora Tora Tora or 254 minutes of Gettysburg, by the evidence of the vacant seats around me, I’m part of a distinct minority.

Steve

gavignano

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 09:21:38 pm »
Well said Steve.
 IMO, Historical inaacuracy is a moniker only for a film that purports to be historically accurate.
entertainment wise, Gladiator was decent. And the actors looked "ancient."  ;)

Two other successful film series that I liked, for entertainment, also lacked in the history/scientific accuracy area. Indiana Jones, and Back to the Future. They were FUN though.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:30 pm »
OK, not fair to call this "historically" inaccurate, but what about "Troy" for inaccuracy of "mythological" proportions.

Plus just having Brad Pitt as Achilles was a complete joke.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 02:46:02 pm »
OK, not fair to call this "historically" inaccurate, but what about "Troy" for inaccuracy of "mythological" proportions.

Plus just having Brad Pitt as Achilles was a complete joke.
i couldn't agree more. Brad Pitt was more Batman than Achilles.

and i thought 'Gladiator' was crap too, although to be fair it was beautifully filmed.
i didn't even bother with 'The 300', but i somewhat enjoyed 'The 300 Spartans' from the early 60's... not great acting to be sure, but entertaining for what it was meant to be.
and i find 'Rome' to be quite entertaining too, as soap opera fare.

so, i'm wondering if 'Braveheart' made that list?

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 03:15:23 pm »
If all you want is fun to watch, try Jason and the Argonauts.  P.L.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 04:29:03 pm »
lol.  or the sinbad movies.  you guys remember the claymation type animatronics in those gems?

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 07:32:33 pm »
i thought Ray Harryhausen's special effects for 'Jason and the Argonauts' were fantastic!
i've yet to see a Spielberg movie with effects that could match those skeleton warriors.

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 06:13:22 am »
so, i'm wondering if 'Braveheart' made that list?

It did! From the article:

" Braveheart
Let's forget the fact that kilts weren't worn in Scotland until about 300 years after William Wallace's day and just do some simple math. According to the movie, Wallace's blue-eyed charm at the Battle of Falkirk was so overpowering, he seduced King Edward II's wife, Isabella of France, and the result of their affair was Edward III. But according to the history books, Isabella was three years old at the time of Falkirk, and Edward III was born seven years after Wallace died. "

I find having to 're-educate' my non historical Scots friends about the way the battles really went (battle of stirling bridge took place on a bridge and not an open field!), quite rewarding and (being English) rather satisfying!

Yet, then again, like so many 'historical' movies, the movie script was based on a novel not on history itself! Whats wrong with history?? Isnt it dramatic or exiting enough?

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 07:02:32 am »

Ahhh... The sword and sandal epic. To think back to the rainy Saturdays of my childhood, watching them on an old black and white TV and falling into an ancient world of the imagination. Historical accuracy they did not have, but magic with the power to open a young mind they did have. I think an ancient Greek or Roman would have loved them too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-dkIuIaz8&feature=related

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity