Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Apollo Clarius coin?  (Read 2678 times)

NetCoin

Apollo Clarius coin?
« on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:22 pm »
Hello,
         I wonder if anyone has seen on this board, or on the web, a coin featuring the Apollo Clarius (Clarian) triad of Apollo, Artemis, & Leto? This is similar to the setup of the monumental statues of the same at the ruins of Klaros. Vaugely recall mention of a coin like this issued during the reign of Caracalla. Apollo is sometimes seated, sometimes standing. Any comments appreciated. 

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Apollo Clarius coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:16:25 am »
For starters: In the Index Rerum, Head, HN, lists Apollo Klarios for Apameia, on p. 510, for Colophon on pp. 570, 571, and for Sagalassos on p. 710.  On the last, he is 'seated.  On p. 571, Apollo and Artemis in just the fashion that you desire.  At Apamea, Head cites RG, no. 52 and the note on p. 246.
Pat L.
Here's one, but perhaps it tries to show too much!
http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=70248&AucID=75&Lot=2547
Possibly the heads of Apollo on many coins of Colophon are Apollo Klarios, since the sanctuary was at Colophon?
The Apamea coin is for Marcus Aurelius, and, on pl. XXXVIII, no. 20, it shows Apollo stg. l, holding a patera--of interest to me, too, so I'm glad to have it brought to my notice.

NetCoin

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply. What source are you referencing for these examples? There are may Apollo, Leto, and Artemis depictions on coins out there, sometimes in pairs. I'm specifically looking for all three on one coin, the "Klarian triad", as at Klaros. This is probably a rare item.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:42 pm »
I just used the indexes of B. V. Head's Historia Numorum, as I said; Index Rerum (Index IV) is where you find reverse types, and of course Apollo Klarios does appear for Colophon, p. 571, where among the types he says (I wrote, 'of the kind you seek), 'Apollo Klarios seated between figures of Artemis and Nemesis' as well as the fancy coin that turned up in Coin Archives (I provided link).
Obviously, I'd go next to the BMC for Ionia, but I don't have that one at home right now.
I thought I'd given you enough to take you to HN on line at Ed Snible's site, where also I think you'll find the plates for BMC volumes.
As I said, for starters.  It's what I do first.  I didn't even Google Apollo Klarios / Clarios, because that would come second, but I did look up the Apamea coin with the legend identifying the cult type, presumably, because it WASN'T Colophon, and I had the book at hand.
Does it have to be Leto?  Head mentions one with Nemesis as the third deity.  Needless to say, he doesn't mention every coin in existence!  And I only cited the ones that identified the cult of Apollo Klarios by a legend on the coin.  It would be pointless, probably, to look up all the coins with Leto and her Twins, when only certain coins are germane to Apollo Klarios.
Pat L.
P.S. Here's your link: http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/
P.P.S. But when I did Google Apollo Klarios, I found Barbara Burrell's wonderful study of Neokoria, which I dod have.  Here's the link I got:
http://books.google.com/books?id=AaaClrSUtHsC&pg=PA267&lpg=PA267&dq=apollo+klarios&source=web&ots=xCTIrleibP&sig=8TrfEz1t7aGI97r4d5_JjfE49wE
And again, in Price & Trell, Coins and their Cities, I found only the BM specimen of the coin represented in Coin Archives, too, with worshippers representing 13 cities before the temple of Apollo at Claros issued at Colophon.

NetCoin

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:05 pm »
Did do a google search for  "Clarian triad" and found the reference I'd forgotton:

scuola.archeologia.unile.it/valerio.pdf

which mentions the of the "imperial coin of the Caracalla time in which the clarian triad is depicted: a seated Apollo, between Leto and Artemis standing".

Looking at this from more of an art perspective than a coin perspective, so forgive my ignorence of the coin nomenclature.

The Klaros site has sculptures of the triad (with Apollo missing from the waist up), and the Sagalassos site has a newly discovered Apollo Clarius but no Leto and Artemis. I'd like to see the trio depicted together.

http://www.archaeology.org/interactive/sagalassos/field04/sculpture1.html

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:43 am »
Well, the address for the .pdf to the scuola italiana is not a 'live' link, so I can't get to it.  The stuff in Archaeology is not really useful, I'm afraid.  P.L.

NetCoin

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:18 am »
Thanks for the references. Search "Clarian triad" on Google and you'll find the .pdf. Its really not that helpfull unfortunately. If I find anything I'll post it here.

NetCoin

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:37:36 am »
Checked that Google search and the link to the .pdf is a goner. It references the Sagalassos dig. Its only reference to the coin is as before:

"imperial coin of the Caracalla time in which the clarian triad is depicted: a seated Apollo, between Leto and Artemis standing".

I'll keep looking. Thanks.

NetCoin

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:43:36 am »
Advanced Google search "with all of the words" sagalassos, and "with the exact phrase" Lavinia valerio gives a link to the file. like I said, not much help.

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 08:23:59 am »
Well, the address for the .pdf to the scuola italiana is not a 'live' link, so I can't get to it

here's the live link Pat
http://scuola.archeologia.unile.it/valerio.pdf

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
No wonder you're looking for a coin of the whole group!  The great thing about coins is that, even when worn, they aren't just hunks of stuff.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity