Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: FAVTRIX  (Read 1690 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
FAVTRIX
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:51:31 pm »
This is less rare and a great deal less expensive than some of the coins we've been seeing recently!  However .. unusual and interesting types always attract me, and it can't be bad that so many of them are quite affordable.

This reverse on an antoninianus of Postumus from either Lugdunum (RIC) or Cologne (Sear) is Minerva running left, holding a branch, with the legend MINER FAVTR.  This would expand to MINERVA FAVTRIX.  According to Sear, only Postumus had this legend on his coinage. (There is also an aureus.)

But what does it mean?  The symbolism of this sort of type, a powerful figure such as Mars or Hercules bearing a branch, is, I think, something like "peace through strength."  There are many other branch-bearing types, but this would seem a reasonable interpretation for this particular group.  ("They make a wilderness and call it peace" - words attributed by Tacitus the historian to the British leader Calgacus).  Minerva / Athene was another such powerful character, a thunderbolt-wielding war deity,  shown here with her spear, helmet and shield.

Sear says "FAVTRIX" translates as "Favourable," but my Collins Gem says "protectress," and William Whitaker's very handy "Words" program expands that to "patroness/protector; admirer/supporter/partisan; she promotes/fosters interests."  Minerva the protectress, rushing to enforce the Roman peace, seems a more likely meaning for this coin.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: FAVTRIX
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:24:37 am »
It's worth mentioning that in the same issue, Postumus has his HERC PACIFERO issue, with Hercules bearing an olive branch.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline S.Sondermann

• Praetorian
    • Sondermann-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:48:52 am »
The Reverse Type MINER FAVTR honors the tutelary goddess of the Legio I Minerva which had been positioned at Bonn. So the Legion is supposed to have supported Postumus since his coming into power.

Best regards
Sebastian
http://www.Gallic-Empire.com - Website about Gallic Empire Coinage and History.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 05:19:25 am »
It's not an explicit legionary reverse, so while the legion may well have figured, we can't assume it's the only reference.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 06:50:58 am »
Good point, though, Legio I Minervia does seem to have supported the Gallic Roman empire and that might have inspired this typeRobert, thanks for pointing out that HERC PACIFERO was in the same issue.  That might make this one of a pair with a similar meaning.  (This example could be better, but is reasonably clear.)
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:08 am »
Wow, I was ignorant of the possible legionary connection...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity