Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Death Mask ID  (Read 16903 times)

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
Death Mask ID
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:09:27 am »

I was reading that this MIGHT be Julius Caesar...can anyone read this and tell me what it says? Is it saying this is the Death Mask of Julius Caesar? Thanks for any help.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Death Mask ID
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 12:08:10 pm »
Let me try:

The picture at left shows the so-called death-mask of Caesar. Masks from formed wax, which were made for aristocratic and wealthy Romans soon after their death, were used in various ways. On burials an actor wears the mask in the funeral cortege, and a cast of it was carried before the bier itself. After that the familiy disposed it together with the other masks of the ancestors in the entrance hall of the house, so that they could serve there at models for further portraits. Many portraits and sculptures of Caesar probably were copied from this death-mask.

Best regard

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 12:14:39 pm »
Wow...so if true that is the exact likeness of Julius Caesar...

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:47:43 pm »
If it's Caesar.  Note that the caption says, right at the top, sogenannte, so-called, in both languages meaning that the writer does not want to be held responsible for the assertion.  The pre-Augustan coins showing Caesar give us our best idea of what he looked like in life.  As for what he looked like in death, are Caesar's (or anyone's) carnal remains really Caesar?  Unanimated remains?  I'll take my Caesar from the coins alluded to and from the wonderful character of his Latin: the Caesar worth remembering whence we learn something about him, why others still argue about him.  Pat L.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:20:42 pm »
I gathered that they weren’t sure if it was him or not…To say a coin of Caesar gives us a better likeness than a mold taken from his actual face doesn’t make much sense to me seeing as though his coins are rough likenesses to say the least... I think I know what you are getting at but there is simply no comparison between coins (or even statues) to an exact mold of his face...whether he is dead or alive when the mold was taken does not change his bone structure and features.  Just like one would learn much more about the likeness of a pharaoh from his mummified remains compared to statues or hieroglyphs it just stands to reason a mold of a mans face gives much more accurate likeness than a rough coin.

If you want to learn about the man and who he was then read his writings or look at his coins, I would say besides being able to examine his body or see him in person a mold taken from his face would be the next best thing when it comes to the likeness of the man. There is no interpretation of the artist...just the face as it was.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 05:14:56 pm »
At least you can be sure that a coin of Caesar shows the man himself, more or less as he wished to be shown. This is an exact likeness of someone, but if we can't be sure it's Caesar, then it tells us nothing about his appearance.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

basemetal

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 08:00:57 pm »
Death mask with eyes open?  Was this done or was the scupture modified after the basic mask was taken?

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 08:16:31 pm »
At least you can be sure that a coin of Caesar shows the man himself, more or less as he wished to be shown. This is an exact likeness of someone, but if we can't be sure it's Caesar, then it tells us nothing about his appearance.

I am just as interested in both, how he wanted to be shown and how he actually was. It certainly looks rather close to the statues of him. Even if it wasn’t him, if it is indeed an ancient death mask, it is still very interesting to me to see the exact likeness of an ancient roman.

Also, I have a feeling they probably touch up the mask after it has been molded since as far as I can ascertain they were worn by someone in the funeral procession thus they might want to make it more lifelike...

Massanutten

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 08:23:14 pm »
    And why the half smile?   You can see the muscle flex at the left.  Hardly the face of a man stabbed to death.  But, who can know what his last thoughts were?  Greatness contemplating irony?

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 10:25:30 pm »
The other tourist-guide story about this head, which I first met in middle-school Latin I book, is that his face is asymmetrical owing to his having suffered a stroke, with consequent partial paralysis, at some time before his decease.  Needless to say, this story and the Caesar story are never relayed in the same paragraph.  Pat L.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 05:09:27 am »
Or alternatively, it could be that he just had an asymmetrical skull. I don't know enough about bone structure to be able to tell which it is.
Robert Brenchley

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 04:42:46 pm »
Since the paragraph beside the picture at the head of this thread does not say what material the portrait based on a plaster cast of the wax death mask was carved, I have obsessively been trying to find a reproduction showing it.  The problem is that it is seldom shown in books on Late Republican portraiture.  I know it because it appeared later in Latin books and Social Studies books than in art history books, and I used to own some pretty old books, such as Eugenie Sellers Strong's "Roman Art", whence I may remember it.  It is not in any book on Roman art, archaeology, or history that I own.  It may have been in the Plates to illustrate the first CAH, but it could have been anywhere of that or earlier vintage.  Fact is, from among the many portraits of Caesar's generation (and it is that) based on wax death masks, to all appearances, this one is distinguished by its appeal to the morbid side of Victorian (and other late 19th c.) sentiment: deformity and ugliness were felt to be more real.  For the social and educational class that Caesar and Pompey belonged to, unmodified reliance on the death mask, which certainly was traditional, though we don't know how pervasively, was no longer fashionable.  A wealthy merchant would be likelier to desire what I call a LITERALIST portrait (not quite the same thing as REALIST: realism was fashionable all over the Greco-Roman world in the 1st c. BCE, and it created the illusion of "honest homeliness" (not asking why homeliness had to be more honest than comeliness).
I think that the head we are considering was careved in marble, however.
First, here is the bronze funerary portrait of L. Caecilius Iucundus, probably earlier than Caesar (a little).
Second, here is one of an anonymous young man, probably contemporary with Caesar.
Third, here is a family group of L. Vibius' family, quite emphatically literalistic and unaffected by the knowledge that the elite, such as Caesar, had of Late Hellensitic styles and techniques; it may be as late as early Augustan, but unlike Augustus this family did not hire Athenian carvers or seek to look like Classical prototypes.
All three of these probably referred to death masks, the bronzes perhaps most directly.  Needless to say, for the hair and a couple of linear wrinkles they are "toolies", and of course their eyes were made to be open.
Pat L.

basemetal

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 12:44:54 am »
Very interesting, Pat!

On first seeing the "death mask" my first thought was "stroke", having seen a couple of relatives with the same affliction.  Does not prove or disprove anything, but the model for that deathmask suffered a stroke at some point before death.

basemetal

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 12:46:27 am »
And obviously, on the heels of that is there any record extant of Caesar suffering a stroke?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 07:34:39 am »
None. he suffered from something, but it sounds like petit mal to me. Epilepsy's so complex, though, it would be foolish to try and g=make a clear diagnosis. But there's no record of his suffering any paralysis, and if that guy did have a stroke, it does look as though some of the facial muscles were at least partly paralysed. But I'm hesitating because I've seen a lot of asymmetrical faces.
Robert Brenchley

basemetal

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 09:44:44 pm »
Robert:
You've obviously met my brother-in law then! ;D

AncientCoins

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 10:10:35 pm »
Pat,  on that first bronze sculpture you posted, of L. Caecilius Iucundus, is the "thing" on his left cheek just a mistake in the sculpt, or a large mole or something? :)

Andrew

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 11:07:08 pm »
Andrew:
No, not an accident.
Both in the expressively realistic portraits and in the ones I differentiate as literalistic, many families evidently made a point of showing grandfather warts (or whatever that one is) and all.  They evidently wanted to remember him (or her, because old ladies get the same attention) exactly as he was.  As if to say, if the blemish is his, then it is blessed.
In the same period, Greek portraits of older deceased persons also use the deep furrows and the wrinkled brows and so one, but they do not emphasize what evidently they regarded as unfortunate accidents not of grandfather's essence.
Naturally, that is just 'reading' the evidence of hundreds of actual funerary and commemorative portraits all over the Greco-Roman world.  But it is fairly consistent.
I'll come back and post a probably senatorial portrait of the end of the Republic or beginning of the Principate that exhibits what I'd regard as Hellenistic Greek art applied to a wise old Roman face.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity