Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Still struggling in Alexandria.  (Read 399 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Still struggling in Alexandria.
« on: June 01, 2023, 04:22:09 am »
I have two pieces of this coin, so it cannot be rare.
The reverse, Zeus and L K, drives me directly to Trajanus Alexandria,but with our head and legend on the obverse it should be Commodus.
However, for the Commodus / Zeus L K, I cannot find the references.
Maybe I should learn to use the sources for ancient coins, but Wildwinds and the www in general leave me in the lurch with this one:

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Still struggling in Alexandria.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 04:31:22 am »
I have two pieces of this coin, so it cannot be rare.

Also the same decentering. Did you check the rims for casting evidence?

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 04:46:32 am »
Hello "shanxi",
Thank you to react.
The thing is, I do this Alexandria search for a friend, who promised hís friend to identify these coins.
I myself work only with the pictures. I had some doubts also about the difference of colour between the two pieces. But maybe that is only photografic.
To what I deduct from your reaction: a Commodus Alexandria/ Zeus L K is a kind of suspect piece ?

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 04:58:29 am »
After "shanxi"s' reaction, I wonder: could it be, the same piece was photografed twice and added twice to this collection?
The resemblance between the two is very close indeed.

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 09:44:04 am »
The two coins may be two different products of the same mould. They are obviously cast fakes IMO.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:27:43 am »
Well Ginolerhino, "shanxi" and you have put the red lights on !
I had to let it sink in for a while, but now, especially when there is no such coin as a Commodus/ Zeus L K, I am going to inform my friend that not all  of his friends coins are reliable.
I hope, it is the only case in the pack, because from pictures it is difficult to judge. But good, they will be warned and it is to them to find out then.
Thank you very much to both of you !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity