Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek?  (Read 541 times)

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
Greek?
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:42:29 am »
Greeting,

I would like to ask if someone could help me with identification. Although I must admit that it is difficult. The coin appears to be in poor condition and I have no information on weight and dimensions. I got an answer that it could be a Greek coin from the island of Isa (a cup is visible), although I am not really sure. I will post a picture of the coin from Isa, but I don't think it's the one.
Thank you very much : )

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Greek?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 09:21:34 pm »
Hi JJ,

Why can't you measure the coin to obtain the dimensions? Do you have the coin?

Meepzorp

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 02:42:01 am »
Hello,

I measure it, it is 5,56 g and 19 mm. : )

It is almost similar to last picture that I post.

Thank you very much

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 02:36:37 pm »
My first impression of the obverse is that it is a portrait head of Tyche. I think I can see the turreted mural crown and a facing right portrait. I could also be very wrong, I just don't see a Kantharos from the photo. It could look differently in hand. Tyche appears on many civic coins.

Virgil

Offline Jon J

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 03:10:47 pm »
Greeting,

Thank you for your reply. My first impression was that on one side there is a bunch of grapes with a branch above, on the other side I can't recognize what it is. Maybe a kantharos but I can't see it clearly. And maybe I'm completely wrong :)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 05:40:42 pm »
Jon,
You may be right about the grapes, I may be wrong about Tyche, I was giving my impression of it. I agree that the reverse does look like grapes. That coin is hard to read for sure.  I wonder if you could do some cleaning of it.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity