Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend  (Read 254 times)

Offline Michael van der Lee

• Praetorian
Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend
« on: March 11, 2023, 08:17:26 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help so far ! Question on the meaning of the reverse legend. My legend is (also compared to other coins) probably something like ΤΥΑΝΕΩΝ ΤON Π  THC ΙΕΡΑC ΑCΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ with abbreviations. Now TYANEON means something like 'By the Tyanians / Of the people of Tyana' that's simple. The last part 'ΙΕΡΑC ΑCΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ' I understand to mean something like 'Sacred, Inviolable & Autonomous'. But what do the words in between mean ? The 'ΤON Π  THC' part. I would really like to know. THANKS in advance !

PS : Enclosed again the pics of the coin. Hadrian really came out nice under my lamp .. :)

PS2 : Obverse legend has him quoting to be '... Trajan Hadrian ...' which I find remarkable. After 21 years of rule you still need to legitimize yourself by your predecessor ...

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 11:16:00 am »

Barclay V. Head gives in Historia Nvmorvm full reading on p. 753:

ΤΥΑΝΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΠΡΟΣ ΤΑΥΡΩ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΑΣΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ.

So your unclear abbreviations translate " at (river) Tauros ".

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 12:11:53 pm »
Thanks Pekka !!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 12:16:11 pm »
... So your unclear abbreviations translate " at (river) Tauros ". ...
Usually it is translated as "near the Tauros mountains", there is no river Tauros.

Regards

Altamura

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 09:50:57 am »
Thanks Altamura !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity