Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unique Verus sestertius ?  (Read 374 times)

Offline Eric M

• Legionary
unique Verus sestertius ?
« on: January 17, 2023, 08:13:11 am »
I have had this sestertius for a long time and always hoped to find a comparison piece. Unfortunately without success. It is not found in RIC, MIR18, BMC or acs. Is this piece unique?
Would be grateful for help.

Obverse :...AVRELVERVSAVGTR.....
Reverse : COSII PROFECT AVG
22,21g
6h

Greetings from Germany
Eric

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: unique Verus sestertius ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 04:17:18 pm »
 RIC III 1323, plate xii 249
Rare but certainly not unique. Also to be found on Acsearch.

Frans

Offline Eric M

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 04:36:34 pm »
sorry but you are wrong.
As i said , it is not PROFECTIO.
It is PROFECT (dot) AVG

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 08:25:16 pm »
Eric M, you seem to be correct, that this is different from the RIC 1323 (PROFECTIO) type.

I wonder if this could be "COS III"? If so, there may have been an example published by John Evans over 150 years ago: "NOTE ON A HOARD OF COINS FOUND ON PITSTONE COMMON, NEAR TRING, 1870," Numismatic Chronicle Vol. 10 (1870), pp. 125-132. Available in PDF for free download from JSTOR: https://www.jstor.org/stable/42680874 OR on Google Books [LINK]

I am not sure of the ultimate disposition of these coins (BM?), but with a little effort maybe it can be tracked down. Not sure why it wouldn't have been cataloged in later references. There was no illustration given then. He gives no weight but describes it as AE1 (i.e., what was called "First Brass" back then, I believe, or Sestertius).

His description (Page 129/30):

Lucius Verus.
Obv. L. AVREL. VERVS AVG. ARMENIACVS. Laureate bust to right.
Rev. PROFECT. AVG. S.C. (in exergue) COS. III. above the Emperor in military costume on horseback to right. In front, a soldier looking towards him, with helmet, spear, and shield ; behind, two others. Unpublished AE1.

I would've suspected that it was just a typo and he meant "PROFECTIO," but he specifically comments on PROFECTIO as being the previously known type with an "almost similar legend," and this one being different (Evans 1870, p. 126):

There are, however, among them one or two rare coins, of which one, in fair condition, presents a new type of Lucius Verus. There are coins known of this emperor with a similar device and an almost similar legend on the reverse, but struck during a different consulate, and probably relating to a different expedition. These coins have the legend PROFECTIO AVG, and the second and third years of the Tribunician Power and the second consulate of the emperor, and probably refer to the expedition against the Parthians in A.D. 163. The coin now brought to light bears the third consulate, and cannot be earlier than A.D. 167, so that the expedition referred to is probably one of those against the Germans, though, as these were undertaken jointly by Aurelius and Verus, it seems strange that only one emperor should be represented on the reverse.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Eric M

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 04:22:18 am »
Thank you for your very interesting comments.
I have attached here again an enlargement of the consulate information.
I think one can rather assume a II than a III despite the damage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity