Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vabalathus COTD  (Read 573 times)

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Vabalathus COTD
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:08:25 pm »
Nice Vabalathus COTD today:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179879

109 Vabalathus (271-272 A.D.), T-3113 (Estiot), RIC V-I 381, Antioch, AE-Antoninianus, IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, -/-//H, Bust-D2, Bust of Aurelianus right, #01
avers: VABALATHVS V C R IM D R, Bust, laureate and diademed, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear, right. (D2 diademed).
reverse: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiated and cuirassed bust of Aurelianus right. (B1).
exergue: -/-//H, diameter: 20,5-21,3mm, weight: 2,81g, axes: 11h,
mint: Antioch, off-8, iss-1, date: 270-272 A.D., ref: RIC V-I 381, T-3113 (Estiot),

Regards

Joe /Q.

All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Vabalathus COTD
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 01:40:11 am »
Very nice

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:56:13 am »
Thank you  +++
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 07:24:33 am »

A fabulous coin Joe, representing a classic "what would have happened if?" in history. You can see the style is more Persian than Roman. If the Palmyrene Empire had defeated Rome and established itself as a power in late antiquity, there is no telling what the modern world would like now.

Alternatively, if they had remained as allies perhaps Persia could never have been a threat to Rome again.  Your coin issued by Zenobia in the name of her son Vaballathus's indicates they were initially supporters of Rome by acknowledging Aurelian as emperor.

Just on a side note, the Osprey military history series did a cracking good book dealing with Palmyrene Empire. It is still easy to pick up and has a wonderful cover picture of what Vaballathus's father Odaenathus, and Mother Zenobia may have looked like, based on the surviving evidence.

Best regards,

Steve

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 09:58:48 am »
Dear Steve,
I always enjoy reading your enjoyable comments on individual posts.
They almost exude background knowledge and a love of ancient art.

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity